General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

i did it.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 04:19 AM
Default RE: i did it.....

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: biggriggs

took my new car for a drive after I got back to philadelphia to show it off to a friend.

hydroplaned on lincoln drive, going about 25.

hit a guard rail.

now, the intimidator isn't quite so pretty.

the car hit the guardrail at the driver side headlight, the headlight pretty much disintegrated. the front bumper is scraped up, but not too bad. the hood is bent up and scraped right above the headlight. the quarterpanel on that side is pretty much toast.

such is my luck.....[X(]

-Riggs.
[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]"I don`t know why, bad things happen 2 Good People", but they do : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hi Riggs, [/align][align=center]When I got `off work this morning, & logged onto the MCF to[/align][align=center]check out the posts, I was hoping to see pictures of your[/align][align=center]Intimidator. Instead I read your post of your unfortunate accident.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I was happy to read thatyou were not physically injured, but[/align][align=center]I know that you had to be mentally : ([/align][align=center]Automobiles can be repaired easier then human bodies, and I[/align][align=center]hope that you know, or find a expert body man to make repairs.[/align][align=center](Also, that you have good insurance coverage)[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]It is difficult to comprehend, but there are over 42,000 deaths[/align][align=center]on US roads each year [X(]Be thankful that you are not one of them. Things can always be worse : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Please keep us updated on repairs, and I hope in the near[/align][align=center]future that you are back out on your highways of life enjoying[/align][align=center]yourAwesome Monte Carlo Intimidator.[/align][align=center]Riggs, we wish you
[IMG]local://upfiles/4301/8F19EFCAEB4B425BB94A4499E60CCD76.gif[/IMG] [/align][align=center]`Space & the BeachBums[/align]

Old 12-01-2008, 05:44 AM

Congrats on the Monte and quiting smoking.... I got my girlfriend to quit by not letting her smoke in my car. We took a week long trip up to Americas Hat (canada) and I made her get out for every butt.

She is really happy now two years later and not one butt...

Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 AM

Sorry to hear about the fender bender. I have an 04 intimidator identical to yours and would hate to see it damaged. Hopefully it'll look as good as new after some repairs. Have you found out which # your intimidator is out of the 3333 made?

Old 12-01-2008, 02:22 PM

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear about that! Anyway congratulations. Your Monte can be fixed. Heck you may even get parts from my old black LT, who donated her remains so that other may live on.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry to hear about the fender bender! But GLAD you weren't hurt! I've bended mine twice now, but then I've got over 93K on him.
And LadyT says congrats on getting past the 3rd day of non-smoking. You've now beat the addiction, so now it's a matter of beating the habit!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member

My first accident in 14 years of driving, not too terrible. What's kind of ironic was that right before I wrecked I was listening to the news radio traffic report and they were listing all of the accidents that had happened in the area within the last few hours, and it was impressive. I actually passed one of the more intense accidents where a tractor-trailer had skidded across two lanes of I-76 westbound and actually jumped the median and was hanging halfway into one of the eastbound lanes.

I have decent insurance, so now I'm feeling a little better about everything. I'll be getting a new hood, headlight, fender, bumper, and probably some other random brackets and bolts that got busted up. Doesn't look like there was any damage to the engine compartment, hopefully there wasn't enough of a jolt to damage the suspension either (I'd figure all that steel holding me steady over the bumps will be tough enough to withstand that jarring). I also get a rental for the duration to get to work in.

Should look as good as new, as the body shop assured me that they are going to get the proper replacement parts from GM, and it's not going to be a hack job. These guys do good work, I've seen some of the cars they've fixed, and a lot of people recommend them too. They're expensive though, so I'm glad that I only have to pay the deductible.
I also think I am going to get the bodyshop to paint the front plate cover from my old car while they have it in there too if the new bumper doesn't come w/ one. Either way, I should have that bad boy back in about two weeks (hopefully less).

I wasn't even going fast enough to deploy the airbags, but man hydroplaning sucked. I've hydroplaned before (i mean, who hasn't ever lost traction for a sec in the rain), but never that bad (esp for as slow as I was going on that curve). You can be damn sure that I'm too cautious in slippery conditions now.

I'm really glad that I didn't end up getting anyone else hurt either.
I'd be really upset with myself if I had caused somebody else to wreck or caused personal injury to another person. I can't imagine what would have happened on that road if someone had come up behind me fast while my car was spinning. Considering the condition of the road, if there had been traffic, it would have been a hell of a pile-up. (Actually, maybe the condition of the road was why I was the only car on that road....unfortunately for me I had only taken that road twice before, and always in nice weather)

I did have a moment of weakness and bought a pack of cigs as soon as I got home and smoked most of them while drinking the better part of a bottle bourbon. Woke up again as a non-smoker though, I'm determined.

Question for everyone with a supercharged monte (or the ss in general).....

Is the grip on the factory tires bad? The tires on the Intimidator are the original, and have 30k on them which isn't too bad. They have plenty of tread left, over half I would guess. I know that I jumped from 180hp to 240hp (and an even bigger jump in torque) between my old car and new car, but it seemed too easy to break the tires loose on dry pavement. In the rain, I only had to touch the pedal lightly in order to set off the traction control from a stop. Then last night's incident. Even before I hydroplaned, I was thinking that I was going to have to look at replacing them asap.
I feel like the replacement tires I had on my last car were much better, even though they were a lower-performance tire.
What are your thoughts? Are the tires decent and I'm just expecting too much considering that jump in power, or does the traction kinda suck on the stock tires?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 PM

well just from readin what happened to ur car it sounds like a two week job. i do work in a body shop and over the summer we had two montes in one for close to the same hit and the other in the rear. they both were there for about 2 weeks. for some reason the new parts took a while to get from gm. so if it takes longer dont be dissapointed. especially with the amount of dealerships that are closing. (dealerships supply parts too)
make sure that it gets aligned to.

but otherwise congratulations 1: on the new car 2: on being accident free for so long
enjoi

Old 12-02-2008, 08:54 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Usually a factory tire is pretty cheap. I don't know what the stock tire is.. I've got a set of National Ovations on my car and although I think they kind of suck, they've kept me on the road and haven't failed me yet. I think the stock tire is some type of Good Year, and all of us who watched Indianapolis and Atlanta this year know how great Good Year tires are...

Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Congrats! It sounds like you got a great deal, but I am so sorry to here about your fender bender. I am glad you are OK

Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Congratulations on the new toy. Sorry to hear it got bended up already. At least you nor anyone else was hurt. That's good.

Just something to think about. The tire compound has hardened and that allowed the car to hydroplane more easily then expected.

Please let us know when the Intimidator is back home.

Quick Reply: i did it.....