General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

How'd you get hooked on...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL
Default RE: How'd you get hooked on...

I have always had an love with cars. When I was young I always wanted the expensive sports cars, like Ferrari and Lambos ect... But when the Need for Speed Underground came out a while back it gave me other cars that i liked that were mostly tuner cars and that were not that expensive. after that is when I was starting to realy understand what the automobile was as i was now about 15 years old. Then the love of the American Muscle Car came to be and I love American Cars as my first car was a pontiac grand am. but them about 4 months ago deciding to get a new car looking to find a grand am of a grand prix. I came across this wonderful and beautiful Monte Carlo SS and is the best car ever and I love to do stuff with it.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:20 PM

This is a fun question! My family always took good care of their cars, mechanical & appearance-wise. They were almost like part of the family. Then when I was 18 I went to World of Wheels, and I think that's when the obsession with good lookin sporty cars started. Also, all my friends had older-model cars they modded.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:57 AM

in hs i worked with my dad in hisschool busgarage doing simple repairs, etc. and was always interested in muscle cars.when i went to college (03-07) i didn't really know what i wanted to do, but then i found the automotive engineering technology program at MN state- mankato and gave it a try. loved every minute of it, and my obsession withautomobiles grew from there.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:43 PM

Playing with dad's '71 Camaro when I was little, this includes breaking several parts (mirror, door locks, etc...) He told me that I helped him put in a set of speakers when I was young along with several other jobs on the car. Can't say I remember much of it, but it's certainly influenced me. I love all F-Body cars, with the 2nd gen Camaro and last gen TA being my favorites. Got this car in '06 and I was instantly hooked, I still think it has the best looking stock interior of any car I've ever been in, and I do like the body lines. So you can say I was interested when I was little, and now the Monte has gotten me hooked.

Don't think I'll ever be able to buy some econobox car now. I like to make my car my own and stock just doesn't cut it.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:33 PM

I have to agree. I was hooked from young as well. Dad took better care of his cars than his family (don't worry, I'm beyond the sob story.) I have always loved the mechanical aspect of it and had many model cars and Hot Wheels. When I was a kid, my Dad's '87 Monte Carlo was the coolest car I knew (putting aside exotics). I was stuck on GM from then, while Dad was a Ford man at heart. Ever since then, been nothing but Bowties for me. I miss Bertha, my '90 Z71, and Roxy, my '94 Camaro, the most. Love the Monte Carlo. Econo-boxes are not my thing either. I need personality in my rides. Fuel economy is not the TOP priority, although still a factor.

I can remember when I was a kid, I scotch-taped 3 exotic Hot Wheels together, door-to-door to make "The Ultimate Taxi." I believe it was a Ferrari Testarossa and 2 Lamborghini Countaches. All 3 were white. I was very depressed when i realized I left them in the bathroom at a restaurant and they were not there when I returned to look for them. [:@]. Oh well. To me, there is nothing more exciting than the sound of a small block 350 with a glasspack exhaust at WOT. Music to my ears.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:23 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My mother once said we were all car lovers from a very young age. My dad was never a "Car Guy" so I'm not quite sure where my sisters & I may have gotten this from? The mailman perhaps?

I grew up in a time when most off shore cars didn't exist here. The muscle car era was in full bloom and it was nothing to see big block Chevelles, Camaros,Challengers, Cudas,or Furds out on the street doing battle.

I was also lucky that I got experience hanging out with car guys when I was young. That was all it took.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: How did you get hooked on...

I always was a car guy. I think I got it from my mom's side of the family. They owned Chevelles, Malibus, etc... Lots of classic muscle cars from the 60's and early 70's. Mom's side of the family lived mostly in rural areas. Lots of back roads to run on. Dad's side were blue collar city people. They were more concerned about building the cars and getting a paycheck. Dad's side were more into sports like baseball, hockey, football. Not much on autosports.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:01 PM

car dad = car son(s)
he started in the automotive buisness in highschool.... purchased a shop....another shop....and another shop. became a very reputable body and mechanical shop. he started with his first car, built that multiple times 70 1/2 camaro z/28...then my moms(currently girlfriend) sunfire... then just kept going just about painted every car hes ever owned and fully restored a 32 chevy to mint condition. currently he has 5 family members working for him including me, my uncle(who also was a funny car guy), another relative, a cousin, and brother. we all have a car of decent status and can be considered car guys.
so i was raised around power, grease and sweat.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:03 PM

my love started with the monte and has now lead me to become a mechanic (and most likely an engineer)

Quick Reply: How'd you get hooked on...