General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.
View Poll Results: A poll
Once a Week
17.65%
Once a Month
29.41%
Every 90 days
23.53%
Every six (6) months
20.59%
Every year
2.94%
I will make a post & tell you : )
2.94%
I never do : ( I'm lazy
2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

How Often do you Wax your Monte Carlo ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Default RE: How Often do you Wax your Monte Carlo ?

ORIGINAL: rj

wanna come do mine now??

Forget it. My car's next. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Which one?

i took me for ever to do it. but in the end it was worth it.

i started about 6:30
[ol][*]washed it twice with eagle one car wash[*]clay bared every thing with mothers calif. caly bar (this took about 1.5-2 hours cant really remember)[*]wax with turtle wax ice ( another 2 or so hours)[*]pray a bird does not poo on the monte[*]sleep like a baby the entire night from being so tired [/ol]

Old 05-13-2007, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[:-]WoW [:-]
Luke, great investment of your time : )
It looks SuperAwesome!
It's ready for the June Monte of the Month Contest.
Thanks for Sharing the beauty.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:16 PM

Myth #1: My car has 4 coats of wax applied.
Fact: When ever wax is applied any residue and or previous wax application is stripped off and replaced with the new application.

This isn't correct. The only waxes that can't be layered are those with cleaners/abrasives in them, aka cleaner waxes. Pure waxes with no cleaners or abrasives in them can definitely be layered. Products like S100, P21S, Souveran, Natty's, 50/50, all of these not only are layerable but look better when layered.

This picture nearly made me fall out of my seat

NEVER apply wax this heavily. Not only is it a waste of product, but it will be a bear to remove without putting back the swirls you worked so hard to remove. Two thin layers of wax are better than one heavy coat like the one pictured.

This is what your car should look like when you apply wax by hand

For those of you applying wax monthly, consider this........if you apply a polymer sealant, like DuraGloss 105, before waxing, not only will your car have twice the protection of wax only, but you can cut down your waxing by 75%. If you use the sealant first, you will only need to wax every 3 months, depending on the wax you use. How is this? Because polymer sealants actually bond to the paint, making them more durable than waxes. So why would you need to wax over the sealant then? Well, you don't really need to, but doing so will not only give you added protection, but it will increase the depth, gloss and wetness of your paint as well.

Also keep in mind that too many layers of wax can actually hinder the looks of your paint, this is especially true if you have a metallic paint job. As a general rule, I will strip my car once a year. I wax it every 3 months.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: 06MonteSS

and for step #1 - washing.... be sure to use 2 buckets - one with the soapy water, and one with plain rinsing water. After you wash a section of your car, you rinse the wash mitt off in the rinse bucket before putting it back in the soapy water bucket. This removes the contaminates from the wash mitt that you just took off the car, and keeps them from getting back into your soapy water. Otherwise, you'll just be getting a mitt full of soapy, contaminated/gritty water and putting scratches in your finish.

Also, for your final rinse, you want to take the nozzle off the hose and let the water flow over the car from the top down - this will create a sheeting action, leaving less water spots and less water on the car to dry off.
Ah, the good ol two bucket method. You can do that, or you can just get a grit guard and put it in the bottom of your soapy water bucket and call it a day.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL: 2000_BLACK_SS

also what is the difference between microfiber towels and terry towels. is one better thatn the other for stuff?
Wow, it took a long time for somebody to mention microfiber towels.

MICROFIBER: THE MYTHS, TRUTH AND TECHNOLOGY

Old 05-20-2007, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

[align=center]Make Your Car
Look Like a Million

Technicians shampoo the entire vehicle from top to bottom with a mild cleaning solution, a soft wash mitt and towels.
by Mike Meredith
[/align][align=center]Your car can look nearly new—inside and out—after a professional auto detail. But what do you get for your money?

A complete detail begins with a thorough exterior wash, including the wheels, tires and wheelwells.

A detail technician polishes this BMW's paint to prepare the surface for wax or paint sealant application

Detailers employ special tools—such as this boar's hair brush—to clean dust and dirt from crevices.
For around $100 - $300, a professional auto detail can restore most cars to their former glory. With proper tools and years of experience, a professional detailer will make your vehicle look its best. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Click Auto Detailing Vid Below[/align][align=center]
http://autos.msn.com/include/VideoPo...p;adex=&tp=[/align][align=center]

Auto Detailing A-Z[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]In the detail shop, your car will be deep-cleaned inside and out, top to bottom—you may not even recognize it when you pick it up.
So what really happens to your car during a professional detailing? [/align][align=center]It Starts Outside
Logically, a professional detail begins at the vehicle's exterior. "A complete detail is really an all-day job," said Bradley Zefkeles, who has owned and operated Bradley's Autowax Detail in Bellevue, Washington, for over 20 years.
[/align][align=center]"The detail begins in the wash bay, where we take care of the wheels, tires, doorjambs, bumpers, grilles, and all of the nitty-gritty tight spots on the car," explained Zefkeles.
The next step is to remove any road tar and bugs that are stuck to the finish, and to evaluate the paint. "We examine the paint to establish a game plan for how we will polish and buff the paint to really make the finish look as new as possible," Zefkeles said.
A detail shop uses different types of foam pads and polishes with a power buffer to remove scratches, scuffs and other small imperfections from the paint. The detailer decides what products and tools to use, based on the condition of the paint.
A series of products or steps may be used, but the final result should be a smooth, glossy paint finish. "The key with the paint is to only be as aggressive as you need to be to get the result, because we don't want to create a lot of swirl marks in the paint" explained Zefkeles. "We want to produce the job, but not leave any footprints in it."
[b]Once the car is polished and

Old 05-21-2007, 05:59 PM

i do mine every 3rd month... oil change time is a big treat for my car, oil changed, washed under neith with pressure washer, clean interior to look MINT! hand wash, wash engine, light towle dry. wax.. tire and rim shine. ect ect ect

Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 AM

ORIGINAL: 2000_BLACK_SS

A couple of quic pics of the monte a day after a wash, clay bar, and wax

I think i just had a car orgasm thingy ... [X(]

Old 02-07-2008, 06:34 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

When the water doesn't bead like I like it too.. thats when I wax mine.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:39 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Some waxes tell you, only wax twice a year or something similar. That if you wax more often you're only wasting the product.

I have enough waxes I got as door prizes at car shows.

Ireally do need to wax my car more. Well maybe not the '57s but the others. When was the last time I waxed my '93 or '94 Dodge Shadows?I can't remember???????????

The '86 Monte, it should be okay. It get's a detailing almost every week in the warmer months. And likethe '06 it's setting inside under a cover right now.

But over waxing can be as bad on the paint as not waxing enough.

Quick Reply: How Often do you Wax your Monte Carlo ?