General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.
View Poll Results: A poll
Once a Week
17.65%
Once a Month
29.41%
Every 90 days
23.53%
Every six (6) months
20.59%
Every year
2.94%
I will make a post & tell you : )
2.94%
I never do : ( I'm lazy
2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

How Often do you Wax your Monte Carlo ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default How Often do you Wax your Monte Carlo ?

[align=center]How often shouldyour Monte Carlobe waxed?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
This question can bring many opinions and myths. We will shed some light on the myths and give you our information.[/align][align=center]
Myth #1: My car has 4 coats of wax applied.
Fact: When ever wax is applied any residue and or previous wax application is stripped off and replaced with the new application.
Myth #2 My car has a clear coat; I do not have to wax clear coat.
Fact: Clear coat is just that; a clear layer of paint over the colored layer of paint. Clear coat being paint itself, must have wax applied to protect it as well.
Myth #3 My car has a treatment form the dealer and or detail center that requires no waxing ever.
Fact: Read the fine print in your warranty at time of purchase, it will clearly state that once a month a conditioner must be applied to maintain the warranty. Take a guess as to what that conditioner is...you guessed it, wax.
The Real Truth: How Often Should You Wax Your Monte Carlo ?
Like skin on our bodies, paint and clear coat must be kept clean and protected. Think of hand and body lotion as wax for your skin. If your car is hand washed once a week and garage kept, depending on your geographic location, you can go as long as 90 days before needing to apply wax. If the vehicle is black and or you reside in an extreme environment, it should be waxed every 45 days.

Introduction
Although nothing beats a professional
car detailer with an electric
buffer, following these steps every few months will protect
your car's paint finish and keep it looking great.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Instructions
Difficulty: Moderate
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Steps
1[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Step One
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click to enlarge[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Wash and dry your car thoroughly before waxing. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]2[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Step Two
Know that some waxes contain abrasives, which can damage clear-coat and lacquer finishes, and may be harmful to dark-colored paint jobs. When in doubt, use a nonabrasive wax.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]3[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Step Three
Park the car in a cool, shady spot. If you don't have access to a shady spot, wax one section at a time so the sun doesn't bake the wax onto your car. Avoid waxing if it's very hot or very cold outside.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]4[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Step Four
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click to enlarge[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Dip a damp wax sponge into the car wax, getting a half-dollar-size clump on your sponge. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]5[/align][align=center][b][

Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: How Often do you Wax your Monte Carlo ?

every 6 months for me...2 coats (or 3) if i had the time i would do it more..but i'm lucky if i find the time to do it twice a year...

lol...i'll make a post to tell you too space!! haha

Old 05-10-2007, 09:51 AM

step #5 is most definitely wrong!! NEVER go in circles - that's what will put the swirl marks in your paint finish. You always want to apply the wax in straight lines/strokes, parallel to the ground. The same thing applies during your washing/drying.

and for step #1 - washing.... be sure to use 2 buckets - one with the soapy water, and one with plain rinsing water. After you wash a section of your car, you rinse the wash mitt off in the rinse bucket before putting it back in the soapy water bucket. This removes the contaminates from the wash mitt that you just took off the car, and keeps them from getting back into your soapy water. Otherwise, you'll just be getting a mitt full of soapy, contaminated/gritty water and putting scratches in your finish.

also, be sure to use a car wash soap, NOT dish washing soap. Dish washing soap removes all waxes/protectants from your finish. The only time you'd want to use dish soap is to wash it before you're going to clay bar/polish/wax.

Also, for your final rinse, you want to take the nozzle off the hose and let the water flow over the car from the top down - this will create a sheeting action, leaving less water spots and less water on the car to dry off.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:19 AM

every month for me, and lately ive been using this product called "liquid ice" it works very well IMO. and then every 6months or so i do the stripping and claybarring ect.. but wash every week, wax every month for me

Old 05-10-2007, 11:10 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Lewis, Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge
with the forum members.
I agree with your post & I'm glad you make it.
I was hoping that this post would get members to state their
tips & tricks.
Thanks for being an active/contributing member to the MCF
`Space
Thanks Chris for your report on `liquid ice : )
Mod Wiz, go wax your Monte : )

Old 05-10-2007, 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: 06MonteSS

step #5 is most definitely wrong!! NEVER go in circles - that's what will put the swirl marks in your paint finish. You always want to apply the wax in straight lines/strokes, parallel to the ground. The same thing applies during your washing/drying.
I have to disagree with ya on this point. When washing you should use straight lines that are parallel to the ground and when waxing you need to use circles. This should ensure complete coverage and make sure that any swirls are completely filled in with the wax/polish. My MC is black so you know it shows every little flaw (not that there are any ).

I also never use fabric softner on my towels! This can leave a film that can transfer to the finish of the car.

Oh yeah, to answer the poll, I wash every couple of days and wax once a month.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:01 PM

I usually wash my car every weekend (weather permitting) and give it a "real" wax job about every 6 months.I do hit it with a quick detailer spray like Meguiar's Quick Detailer or the liquid Ice about once a month.I only use car wash soaps like Blue Coral ,Raindance,etc.
It is garaged which really helps the wax last longer.I also avoid any commercial automatic car washes.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: omb76

ORIGINAL: 06MonteSS

I have to disagree with ya on this point. When washing you should use straight lines that are parallel to the ground and when waxing you need to use circles. This should ensure complete coverage and make sure that any swirls are completely filled in with the wax/polish. My MC is black so you know it shows every little flaw (not that there are any ).

I also never use fabric softner on my towels! This can leave a film that can transfer to the finish of the car.

Oh yeah, to answer the poll, I wash every couple of days and wax once a month.

I'd rather go over it twice with nice/good thin coats to ensure complete coverage, than risk the swirls.... anything done in a circular motion can create/induce swirls...

...good one about the towel tip... I do that as well, but forgot to mention it... they also don't absorb water as well if dryer sheets are used, because of the film that gets put on the fabric to make them soft.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:37 PM

You should also make sure you double rinse your towels in the washer to eliminate all soap residue.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:04 AM

i wash mine every week and wax about every month during the summer or before every car show.

last night i went to advanced auto parts and bought a clay bar system and i thought i would try a new wax so i bought the turle wax ice paste.

also what is the difference between microfiber towels and terry towels. is one better thatn the other for stuff?

Quick Reply: How Often do you Wax your Monte Carlo ?