General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

How to flush power steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Default How to flush power steering

My power steering needs flushed...it's a brownish color and I have a squeeling noise when I turn either way. I had to fill the reservoir up last week, it seems to be holding the fluid alright, just really nasty dirty (I do have a small leak...somewhere). I was wondering if this is a simple task that I can do myself?

Step-by-step directions are great! I don't know where to start. Thanks!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Default RE: How to flush power steering

How often have you had to add the fluid.

First thing you have to find the leak.
If you can not find it (or see it)most likely it is leaking in the hoses or the rack
Flushing the system out can cause it to leak more.

Dealers and places like Jiffy Lube has a machine to flush the system out.

If you dont want to use them, buy a suction gun (almost looks like a grease gun) and pull the old fluid out of the resorvoir.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:10 AM

Thanks for responding.
Last week was the first time ever.
I heard a squeeling and decided to check it...sure enough.
I love my 02 so much but lately it's totally disappointed me. I'm having that intake manifold problem that leaks into the oil pan...I think. It's a 3400 which seems to be a common problem for this engine. What a bummer.
On top of that a bearing connected to the output shaft (forgive me for not knowing which one)is bad and needs replaced which also includes having that part of the tranny rebuilt...it's getting done on Tuesday. Can't wait to find out the cost.
I might hit Jiffy Lube up for it if it doesn't cost too much. I really don't have much room around here but I'm not looking to spend too much money on it.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:05 AM

imo... p/s flush is like burning money, money would be better spent repairing a leak, i havent heard of flushes helping anymore than just having the fluid level correct. although in very cold weather i've heard having fluid not made for the cold can cause noise.

if you just have a vendetta against brown fluid go for the suction gun/ turkey baster over paying to flush it, and just empty and refill the resivor whenever ya change the oil because it seems to turn brown again rather quickly.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:27 AM

2000ls a power steering flush is not a waste, it's called maintenance! Now I'm going to get on my soap box here. This seems to be the problem with some people these days. My parents are bad about this. They'll buy a new car and then only do oil & filter changes. Your manual specifically states that all fluids need maintenance. Do you really expect those fluids to last forever???

Old 03-27-2007, 10:17 PM

well, my 94 olds with 215k mi never had a problem, never was changed, and has had less than half a qt added ever... well my parents bought it w/ 15k mi .... but seemed to be ok for over 13yrs and 200k mi.

most maintenece is good, but some things dont pay off either.... if your parents buy a new car ina couple years, not having done maintence on the currecnt car will probly actually save them some money, too bad for the next owner though. just cost vs. benefit (or if you love your car, cost vs. sleeping well), i just havent seen the benifet, or cost of not changing p/s fluid.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:25 AM

They don't recommend it for nothing you know....do you change your engine oil?

Old 03-28-2007, 04:28 AM

ANOTHER MYTH....

Flushing power steering fluids..... they just in the past 5 years started making machines to do it..... When I worked at a dealership years ago the only time that the power steering fluids got changed was if you needed hoses or the pump or the rack needed replacing.....

Old 03-28-2007, 07:26 AM

Why change out the fluid then? Why not just add what was lost? I believe it needs to be changed for a reason. Fluids don't generally last forever!

Old 03-28-2007, 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: cain45

Why change out the fluid then? Why not just add what was lost? I believe it needs to be changed for a reason. Fluids don't generally last forever!
As a matter of fact petroleum products will not lose their lubrication properties. The reason for any fluid change is to remove dirt and impurities induced by heat and normal deterioration of physical components and replace any additive package burned off bt the normal heating cycle.Synthetic oil is the same way it will continue tolubricate as long as there is fluid available, it just gets dirty also.

Quick Reply: How to flush power steering