General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

An honest 2007 Monte SS review

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 09:10 PM
1 Year Member

That's perfectly fine. This is all just my own take on it. I personally don't like the handling feel as described, but others might.

The only part that isn't an opinion are pretty much the seats and the tranny.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Beater Monte
That's perfectly fine. This is all just my own take on it. I personally don't like the handling feel as described, but others might.
I think the handling part is just as much of a fact at the other two honestly. The only people that would argue that a wbody has good, sporty handling haven't driven enough performance oriented vehicles.

There's definitely a reason these cars aren't regularly seen dominating at the autocross and road courses, lol.

As long as the person who buys it knows that it's just meant as a fun cruising car/daily driver, then I think they won't be disappointed.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-29-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Some local autocross group, I got a chance to see one week end while on vacation, wanted me to join up and run my 03 Monte. I said would like to try it, but for 2 reasons can not join.
1, I work every week end
2, this car is to big and to heavy to race that way.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Default Monte Carlo SS

My names Frank, I just recently bought a 2006 Monte Carlo SS . I has a 2003 none SS in 2012 . Yeah the SS is a lot faster but I want to make the engine very strong. What do you have in mine that I could to to it? I came with. K&N intake. The car comes already with 303 HP. How much more did that intake give it? Also what are good mufflers that make a mustang look away because of the loud roar? By the way I like in Miami so if you know any places to take my car too here let me know around where.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Frank5912
My names Frank, I just recently bought a 2006 Monte Carlo SS . I has a 2003 none SS in 2012 . Yeah the SS is a lot faster but I want to make the engine very strong. What do you have in mine that I could to to it? I came with. K&N intake. The car comes already with 303 HP. How much more did that intake give it? Also what are good mufflers that make a mustang look away because of the loud roar? By the way I like in Miami so if you know any places to take my car too here let me know around where.

If you want suggestions for more power, I suggest providing some information first: how much power you want (wheel or crank hp), what you're looking to do with the car (street driving, drag racing, etc), and how much you're looking to spend. Otherwise the suggestions will be all over the place. I also suggest starting a new thread.

The K&N intake added virtually zero power. Sure it may have added a couple, but it's small enough on the stock engine to be unnoticeable.

As for mufflers that would scare a mustang off, I hope that's a joke. About the only mustang that would really worry in a race would be the late 90s models (or older) that only had mid 200 hp. Any of the newer v8 mustangs would beat a stock ls4 car.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Beater Monte
Why are you buying a V8 if you're concerned about mileage? Anyway, it's bad in the city. I'm usually getting 14-16 MPG in city driving, with 28 on the highway.
Wait wait wait. 28 on the highway? At what speed? 45 mph? I'm lucky to hit 24 on any one road trip.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I can squeeze out 26-27 mpg driving the speed limit and using the cruise control on the interstate. That's with no a/c and burning 93 octane fuel. Usually, when taking it on a long ride, I'll pour in some fuel injector cleaner as well. The second tank is slightly better than the first.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dalton2K5
Wait wait wait. 28 on the highway? At what speed? 45 mph? I'm lucky to hit 24 on any one road trip.
That sounds pretty low to me. Granted I've got a gp gxp, but it's basically the same thing. Pure, 100% highway doing the speed limit +10, I get high 20s no problem.

I average low 20s on my daily commute which is about 80% highway nowadays, and occasionally includes traffic jams, and the occasional race from a stoplight.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by chifan
I can squeeze out 26-27 mpg driving the speed limit and using the cruise control on the interstate. That's with no a/c and burning 93 octane fuel. Usually, when taking it on a long ride, I'll pour in some fuel injector cleaner as well. The second tank is slightly better than the first.
Pikers. I get high 30's at "official" highway speeds. 40 is not completely unknown. The limit here is 70, so I typically keep it at 74 on the cruise control, and get 31-33.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:04 PM
Default Fair review

I agree with the OP's review for the most part. I generally like the 06 and 07 Monte Carlo but I would get a V6, and probably an Impala. If you really want a fast V8 Chevy look at the Australian Caprice police car, the SS sedan, the mid-90s Impala SS/ Caprice, or a Camaro. If I'm getting a V8 I want it to be rear wheel drive.
My love for the Monte Carlo declines a lot once they went to the weird look in 2000. I had an 03 for 10 years, and the look never grew on me. I loved my 98's looks.