General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

high pitch sound

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Default high pitch sound

Whats going on guys im new here at MCF but been reading up. I have a 01 Monte Carlo 3.8 non-superchared 91k milesbut im making it as better as it can be. Alright I did the basic tune up oil change, spark plugs, cleaning and oiling air filter, gas filter etc.. then started to hear a high pitch chirping noise almost sounded like a clucking chicken.. so i took it to a mechanic and asked him to take a look at it. so he did and told me he had never heard nothing of that nature come from a car.... took it to several mechanics and nothing so now i come to you guys..... have any of you guys ever heard of anything like this and if so can you please fill me in on how to get rid of this chicken haha..... thanks alot

Old 05-11-2008, 08:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: high pitch sound

When does the sound occur? Does it occur all the time or intermittantly? Where is the sound coming from? You gotta be more specific or no one can help you.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 AM

its happening right when I turn on the car and after I run the car hard. the sound is coming from the pulley area.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:05 AM

Hi `Ozzy, from Texas,
and Welcome to the MCF.
It's difficult for a member on a auto web forum
to suggest a solution to your problem without being there
to hear it & check it out.
Since you've already been to several mechanic's and they
could not find the problem.
Is there anyway that you can record the sounds & post them ?
I would suggest check'in everything that is connected
to your belts...It could be a bad water pump/alt/ac compress/etc.
Are you sure there's no chicken's that got in2 your engine bay ?
I never heard a chicken clucking.
Click on below and let `us know if this is the sound
[:-]

cluck

cluck Definition

cluck (kluk)

intransitive verb
to make a low, sharp, clicking sound, as of a hen calling her chickens or brooding

Click below to hear the sounds of `cluck[:-]
http://www.yourdictionary.com/cluck

Ozzy, wish you Good Luck
on your `Chicken Noises
WoW

Old 05-11-2008, 11:23 AM

Check your serp belt...with 91k on it you probably need to change it. I would also check for forced leaking near the water pump/lower intake and make sure that whenyou're pressure in your cooling system up, you're not forcing any coolant through the gaskets onto your serp belt. See if that takes care of the issue. When you have your belt off, check your pulleys, water pump/harmonic balancer and make sure they are sturdy and not loose. On your water pump, if the pulley wiggles or spins very loosley, you need a new one.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:33 AM

also check the alternator pulley when the engine is on.... if it starts going bad it can make a high pitched sound very much like a bird (although maybe not a chicken) rather than the normal power loss probs

try to locate the sound a little more specifically to upper or lower engine area by the pulleys... we might be able to help ya a lil more

Old 05-11-2008, 12:23 PM

5 Year Member

I agree with the alternator. Good luck getting to it to check it out. Im not sure where the alt is on your body style but mine is in the bottom back corner of the engine bay. Impossible to get to.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:38 PM

Alright guys shocking news coming up here..... i found the prob. on my car and you all will be laughing about what it was. it turns out to my pcv value for some reason i guess i forgot i had changed it and they had given me a wrong one or damanged. so i notice the car was trying to suck air in through the oil depost opening when i would take off the top. so i said damn my engine shouldnt be trying to suck in air the thier. o0o and the noise would disappeare when i would remove the cap. so i thought back to the little things i have done to my car. and sure enough pcv value was it.... now noise is gone but i still got someone a prob. dont think engine suppose to be sucking up air through the oil cap right?

Old 05-11-2008, 04:33 PM

no.. most likely there was a leak around the seal or didnt fit the threads right

Old 05-11-2008, 06:14 PM

5 Year Member

I think it should because the whole point of the PCV valve is to suck vapors out of the crankcase and into the intake to burn off. That would create a small vacuum and when u take the oil cap off, air would be pulled in.Take the PCV out and see if it stops. If it does then the sucking air is just from the PCV.

Quick Reply: high pitch sound