General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Hey.. I'm getting 17MPG Now

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007
Default RE: Hey.. I'm getting 17MPG Now

I live in Belleville... actually Van Buren Twp., which is kind of rural. But the farmers are selling their land left and right now, and every year more subdivisions are shooting up. What you have is 50-MPH speed limits, but due to the two-lane highways and all the new subs, all it takes is one granny going 35, and you get a monster jam up. That happens a lot.

The other thing that happens to me is, my daughter is a Varsity cheerleader, and Honor Guard for the Marching Band. Which means she has one type of practice almost every night. My wife takes her, and I pick her up. I can end up waiting as long as 30-minutes. I sit and watch the "Avg MPG" drop like every two minutes... 19, 18.9, 18.8.... 17.4, 17.3, 17.2... Sorry Daddy Coach wouldn't let go until... Like now, she is suppose to be out of practice at 8:00 p.m., So I will leave in a few minutes so that I get they right at 8:00, but I bet I wait... and the day I'm late... they let them out at 7:55 p.m., without fail

Old 10-11-2007, 06:02 AM

ORIGINAL: BLACK ATTACK

Am I a lead foot? Yes & No... I often take off moderately fast up to the speed limit then back off, and set the cruise control. This car is getting worst gas mileage than my Nova LT1 Highrise, 550 Holley Daul-feed... It is definitely worst than my 1500 Silverado while towing a 22' bassboat
Yeah, but which one is the most fun to drive? With 13.5K miles, my computer says I'm averaging 20.8 mpg, and I got 21.5 out of my last tank, calculating manually. It will be interesting to see how the Diablo affects your mileage...I'm thinking seriously about getting one myself.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:17 AM

Why do you set there and let it idle? Shut it off and you won't see the MPG drop. Idling is also very hard on the car.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

In the summer because of the heat... Now... Its cold... Welcome to Michigan, 85° one day, 45° the next. I could take the heat, if I could keep the windows down. But I like to listen to the radio when I am waiting and I think it is rude for me to force my listening pleasures on you. So I keep my windows rolled up. My taste in music covers a wide range... I like Heavy Metal, Rock, Punk, Emo, Country, Jazz, but my favorite is the BLUES...

Old 10-11-2007, 06:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Letting the car idle for AC purposes is okay....don't expect any good results or moan about your average MPG though.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:15 PM

My car just turned over 14,000 miles, and I happened to fill it up today. To my surprise, I got 22.2 mpg from the last tank! No change in gas, driving habits or anything else - except the weather is a little cooler. I have been getting progressively better mileage, and can only assume that the engine is not yet fully broken in.

When I bought my SS two months ago, the computer said the average MPG was 17.5, and I don't think it had been reset for quite some time. I reset it before leaving the lot, and today it reads 20.9.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:57 PM

I have had my '06 for about two months now. My car is approaching the 10K mile mark, and I haven't seen anything better than about 16.5 mpg around town, and I am not on as much asI would like to be. I am using 91octane Sunoco gas, which has helped (up from the mid 15 mpg range). I would be thrilled if I could get to 18mpg around town. Any suggestions...

Does bypassing the DOD system with a program like the Diablo Sport provide any gains in mpg (I have read about the hp gains)?

Old 10-22-2007, 10:22 PM

Any Tuner will benefit a V8 engine. disabling the DOD simply means no 4cyl mode. Depending on your driving this might help, or hurt you. In town it might help, because you don't have to worry about the car going into 4 cyl mode when it's only going to be there for seconds. But on the highway, especially if you heavily rely on cruise control.. it will likely hurt mileage.

Get an Intake... 40$ for a K&N drop in air filter is just too cheap when you could gain as much as 3 highway MPG from it. My car gained like 1 mpg in town, more on the highway. Go to knfilters.com and look for one for the Monte Carlo... local place should have it, or they'll order it in. An Advanced Auto Parts near me had one that another guy ordered like 3 months ago and never picked up. Too boot it was on sale for a whopping 35$... A regular AC delco was 28 if I remember properly!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:15 AM

Let me take this from another viewpoint. I am still in the mid-15 tolow-16 mpg range, and have 10.5K miles on the car. I expected w/ the DOD that my mpg would be around 17. So, I was wondering from those hitting the magic 17 figure, what is your averageMPH per tank full of gas (on the driver information center o the dash). For me it is around 25MPH average. If this is lower than most, than I will at least realize that most of my gas is being wasted waiting for the light to turn green.

One other thing that has me wondering is the amount of black out of the tail pipe. I purchased my car used, GM Certified, with about 8K miles on it. As my car is white, the rear bumper cover and trunk under the spoiler are always covered w/ a light layer of black from the exhaust. Does anyone else have this same issue, or should I have the dealer re-flash the computer, based on the idea that whoever owned the car previously may have "tweaked" the computer. In the old days of carburetors, I would just lean out the mixture. But knowing the computer does this, I am puzzled as this is the first computer adjusted fuel mixture car I have owned that does this.

As mine is the only SS I have driven, I have no other basis to detrmine how mine measures up to see if something was altered.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

108K, 31-32 mpg highway, 24-26 city and that was before the new cat (had one of the faulty ones). Mines a6 so I'm sure that makes a difference. We'll see what happerns with the new cat. I'm tickled to death it got that, I was pleasantly surprised.

Quick Reply: Hey.. I'm getting 17MPG Now