General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Has anyone else gottten a ticket for this?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Default Has anyone else gottten a ticket for this?!?!

I'm and hella pissed off!!!! First of all does anyone have a monte carlo that has a front license plate cover? You know, the thing that makes the bumper all run flush?

Well I have one on my monte and I got a ticket for not having a front license plate on my car!!! I was pissed. I told the officer nicely that its a stock piece that comes equipted with the car off the assembly line!!! It came stock on my car and yet he still wrote me a ticket for it. I asked other local cops around here and they said they wouldn't have wrotten me a ticket for it since its a manufacturers peice that comes stock.

So I'm taking it to court and battling it out with the judge.

I'm just wondering if anyone else that has one, has had this problem. I know you can buy them from the dealership because I even went up there and asked them today what they thought about it and if its illegal. Its not illegal to have one, but it is illegal to have no license plate. But other cops said they wouldn't right me a ticket since its a stock peice and I have no control over it.

Leave some feedback if you have one or have ever had this problem.

Thanks guys.

MonteriderLS

Old 07-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Default RE: Has anyone else gottten a ticket for this?!?!

It sounds like you got a rooky cop to me.

You may find yourself paying the ticket anyway if batteled in court due to the fact that it is illegal to not have a front license plate visible. Texas is the same way, you by law have to have the front license plate. I don't have mine on and will just have to deal with the rooky cop when/if I get pulled over for it.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:26 PM

yeah, this is the second ticket I have gotten. The first ticket I got just going from my house to a friends house and I took it off so I could clean behind it because it was hella dirty. That I just payed because yes, I didn't have my plate on, and I didn't have my cover.

But this is BS. The local police here in KC are kinda dicks. But I live just out side of the city and their pretty nice. But the second ticket I got was from a private lake cop. He's only got jurisdiction over a small piece of road that runs by the lake and I just happend to go down that road last night after I washed my car (with my cover on) and he pulled me over for not having a plate. I was pissed and I'm taking it to court.

Their courthouse is a little clubhouse on the lake. So I'm going to get one of my local friends whos a cop to come testify on my behalf. The first ticket I got from a state patrolmen was only a 35 dollar fix it ticket. This ticket I got issued was a 75 dollar ticket! I don't have that kinda cash to be forking out to a damn private lake cop. They don't even have a jail. and only have two police vehicles. God I hate this place.

BTW, anyone know of any KC car clubs pertaining to Monte Carlo's?

MonteriderLS

Old 07-30-2006, 11:16 PM

All because of some damm cop that is too lazy to turn around and take a look.

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]Only in america..[sm=happy046.gif]

Old 07-30-2006, 11:49 PM

ya that stinks. if it came from the dealer with it on you shouldn't have to take it off i think

Old 07-31-2006, 12:30 AM

i have the cover on mine the cops just walk to the back of my car and look at the plate even though we are required to have a front plate in texas

Old 07-31-2006, 03:31 AM

the bad news is it is still a state law to have a front plate there fore your not fighting the cop being lazy your fighting the fact it is written that you need the front plate. the bad part of this is it means if your fighting a small town cop and they need the money your goign to be paying the fines and the cort cost.

the good news is they made them removabel for this reason so the factory was thinking a head on this and figured it would be taken off by a dealer ship if you had to have a front plate.

We have the same thing here in GErmany and the fines are not even close to cheap for not haveing the front plate "displayed"

Now depending on how crooked you are you can put your cover on and your requierd front plate int he front window in a way that is is not real noticabel but still being displaed. take a photo of the car and take it to court with you and fight that it was being displayed. now it is your word aginst the cops but not having a plate at all will get you a ticket faster then having one in the wrong place.

the othe roption is go to misury and ge tthe tags there they dont run a front plate. not sure how that would work for you.

but good luck ethier way. hope you dont have to pay to much or nothing would be nice.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:02 AM

Mickey is right - you won't win. It's not a matter of a lazy cop - its just a hard nosed annoying cop going by the book. If your state requires a front plate, it doesn't matter what is in its place. That filler is only there if you do not require the plate and have something to fill in the space. The best you can do is play dumb and say I didn't know that cover came off, or I didn't know how to take it off to mount the plate. Still a lame excuse, but it may work.

Take a fourth gen for example - you have to drill holes into the nose to mount the plate bracket. So you could have an undrilled nose even and claim there is no where to mount it. Guess what - it doesn't matter, you are supposed to have one.

Old 07-31-2006, 12:03 PM

belive me it sux i had to do it to mine whe we got here. the one advantage i have here over the states is they dont punch holes in thier plates you have to do it your self. so i lined them up to the holes that were already in the plastic and left it at that now i have no damage done to my car. But they are now talking about forcing us to use the long plates here if it gose threw i will have to mount one of them on the car or find a new car to drive. So i figure i will be looking for a beater for a few months to drive.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:02 PM

Sorry, monteriderLS...

it's the law in your state, unfortunately. Here in Las Vegas, the front plate is not required. Some people put it on, some don't. If it's the law where you are to have the front plate, a court battle is futile.

DON"T WASTE YOUR TIME, DUDE!!!!!! Just pay the fine.

Quick Reply: Has anyone else gottten a ticket for this?!?!