General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Got TERRIBLE news with my Monte today

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs down Got TERRIBLE news with my Monte today

Went to get a state safety inspection in the Monte today.

Besides needing front brakes and rotors (I thought I might need those)

My mechanic very kindly told me that my Monte is nearing the end of its life. Rust has taken its toll very rapidly and completely destroyed a lot of the unibody frame.

My inspection sheet says: Rear Bumper rusted through. Radiator Core Support rusted through. Left Front Unibody Frame Rail rusted through at Core Support.

Brake and Fuel lines not completely rusted through, but nearing failure point.

I truly don't know what to do. He said for the core support, he truly doesn't see good metal to even grind down to. I'm pretty screwed on this.

I talked to my Dad, he said to buy the brake pads (I have older rotors that I took off for these fancy drilled and slotted that suck) so I should be able to put those rotors on with new pads. We are going to take the car hopefully on next Saturday to a smaller shop and see if I can pass inspection while I see what I can do about the rust.

This just sucks!!!! Everything I've been saving for to mod this car, all the money I already put into it. Now I have to deal with frame rust. I just basically threw away all of my mod money for the year if I have to get this completely repaired.

I am in the worst mood right now

Old 03-31-2012, 11:44 AM

You could buy my Dale Jr edition from me haha just kidding. But in all honesty that really sucks. Im glad MN doesnt require any kind of inspections

Old 03-31-2012, 11:53 AM

Hi `Mike,
I thought of you & your Monte this morning & I was hoping that you didn't have any problems with your inspection.

I just finished my night shift & logged on & seen your post I feel your pain in your words & your frustrations

I hope that you can repair the problems enough to get a good inspection & then think of selling `if the cost to rebuilt/repair is to expensive...I know it will be like getting rid of a family friend that has served you & your family very well.

I could write that things in life could be worse, & I will , because they could, but you already know that.

I just feel bad for you & I hope that this is one of those life lessons/expenses that just freak'in SUCK 4-$ure.

Lets Blame `Salt & Mother Freak'in Nature They both do so much damage to so many nice rides like yours...

I wish you the best in your decisions on what you are going to do to recoup some of your investments/mod's etc.

Yes, it could be worse, but it also could be a lot better.

I wish you better news in life 4-Sure...Good Luck `Mike
Sincerely, your friend `Space

Old 03-31-2012, 11:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm going to do the pad and rotor change and try to get it inspected for another year. This way I can at least drive it every now and then still.

Then I'm going to start looking up a few local body shops that I feel I can trust and have them HONESTLY take a look at it and quote me.

I feel like the bumper is no problem. That core support is the biggest issue and I will see what can truly be done about it. If I keep getting people telling me it isn't worth it... I might have to park this car and buy another 6th Gen and start transferring stuff

Old 03-31-2012, 12:03 PM

Wow that really does suck. I just did my brakes the other day. Not hard to do yourself by any means.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:15 PM

Wow sorry to hear that,hope it works out for you !

Old 03-31-2012, 12:17 PM

Ok, take this as a sign. Its restore that pretty subframe. Or put a full frame and a 350 hehehe.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mike that sucks. hopefully a shop can fix it but that might cost a lot to get it fixed the right way. hope you figure it all out.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

It's not April 1st yet so this is not a joke, Mike that really sucks man.......

Old 03-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I'm going to do the pad and rotor change and try to get it inspected for another year. This way I can at least drive it every now and then still...That core support is the biggest issue and I will see what can truly be done about it.
Man, that is terrible news. Are your inspections annual? I wouldn't think all that would have happened in a years time. I think the idea of fixing the brakes then taking it to a different shop is a good idea. Hopefully they'll pass it...good luck.

Quick Reply: Got TERRIBLE news with my Monte today