General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

GM reaches Tentative Agreement with Union : )

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default GM reaches Tentative Agreement with Union : )

[align=center]GM reaches tentative agreement with union[/align][align=center]Go to last posts[/align][align=center]
[hr]
[/align][align=center]Auto Workers Launch Strike Against GM[/align][align=center]by Grandpa `Dave[/align][align=center]Stolen by `Space[/align][align=center]*Sorry, GP `Dave, I didn't see your post [X(][/align][align=center]Click below link: )[/align][align=center]
https://montecarloforum.com/m_53619/tm.htm
[/align][align=center][:-]
[/align]
[align=center] [/align][align=center]
[/align]

[/align]

[/align]

Old 09-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Default RE: GM Auto Workers STRIKE

[align=center][/align]
Please go to SolaraSlayer link above or below : )
[align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Space must be on `Drugs 2-day [/align]

Old 09-24-2007, 03:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center]Member's, what do you think ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Good/Bad ? ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Parts ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Post your thoughts[/align][align=center][:-][/align]
I am more than happy to point you to my earlier post.

https://montecarloforum.com/m_53619/tm.htm

Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

well i've actualy never discussed the downfall of the americna automobile in my 300+ posts at this point....

the downfall of american automobiles, and the reason that there will proably be no such a think in about 25 years, is the UAW. the UAW has simply ruined the quality of automobiles. they demand that the work be less stressful, work less hours, and even have full pay in their retirement. I'm not so sure about Chevrolet, but I know the Ford truck factory in Atlanta used to be forced to pay about $60 an hour to a man who did nothing but work an air wrench and puta bolt on a tire. This is ridiculous. You can only put 4 or 5 lugs on a car so well. This is the reason American cars cost more. This is the reason American cars are of a lower quality. This is the reason American's are buying foreign. The UAW thinks they are doing their workers a favor, making their lives easier, and in the short run, they are. However, in the long run, they are doing nothing but putting their workers out of their own jobs. They are killing the American economy, and a tradition of American automobiles, a tradition of over 100 years, has become a foreign tradition. So in the end, what has the UAW accomplished? Sure, when the unions were originally forme,d they were needed. Fifteen hour work days, 6 days a week, for $5 a week is flat out ridicoulous, even for 120 years ago. Unions were necessary. However, in this day and age of red tape, the unions have done their job. All they do now is take away the individuality of the worker. All workers in most unions are payed the same, no matter what their prior exprience, experience with this particular job, or age. They recieve the same pay no matter how hard they work. They recieve the same pay no matter what. This produces a good question for a union worker to answer. Why work so hard? If I'm going to be payed the same no matter what, why should I strive to do good work, and strive to do the best I can? If the union is going to protect me from being fired, why should I bother to work hard? The answer is really the same as the question, why should you? There is no reason really, when a manager comes along and fires a worker who works slowly, or isn't quite meeting his quotas, or just doesn't live up to the bosses expectation, the rest of hte workers go on a slow down or strike. Sure, you can be fired, but you've got to screw up pretty bad to do it. You've basically got to just not work at all at the ports where I see union workers all summer when I ride with my dad in the 18 wheeler.

Well, ranting time is over.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:30 PM

The article says the average factory working for Toyota makes $30? What does the average GM worker make?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:45 PM

5 Year Member

about $60 an hour or so i guess

Old 09-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

The unions are doing their job in the sense that they're negotiating deals for their membership, in the membership's favor. The unions are always going to try to make the worker's lives easier and more lucrative. If they didn't, they wouldn't be doing their job. Unfortunately that means the company has to raise the price of their vehicles. Which affects us as consumers.

Do I think getting paid $30+ per hour for working on the assembly line is excessive? Of course. But if they can get it, more power to them. I'm happy for them. At the same time, I also believe that those same people shouldn't complain when they greed themselves out of a job. Having a sticker price of $40,000.00 on a Chevy or a Pontiac, when a comparable import has a sticker price ofhalf that amount, is insane!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 PM

5 Year Member

which is exactly what i was trying to point out... sure, their laughing all the way to the bank. but in the long run, their hurting themselves and the economy for everyone else. these unions have no foresight at all.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

The article says the average factory working for Toyota makes $30? What does the average GM worker make?

You should be asking, "What does the average auto worker give up to union dues?"

Old 09-24-2007, 09:36 PM

I seriously can't see $60 per hour for assembly line work. Possibly $40 but not $60. If it was and I was on the board I would have an ongoing strike and hire scabs. There is no way GM will be able to survive at those wages when Toyota pays 1/2.

Especially when you consider the bonuses they get on the floor with medical and others.

Quick Reply: GM reaches Tentative Agreement with Union : )