General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Getting ready to dump my 2006 MC

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Default Getting ready to dump my 2006 MC

Just paid it off in July has 35,000 miles and going to trade it in on a 2012 Honda Accord. The wife's 2009 Accord won me over. After about 5 poor quality GMs I am moving on.... It's been a great 6 years on the forum, but this MC has been by far the worse car in terms of build quality I have ever owned. I still support the #24 and #48 in NASCAR!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by 24_48Fan
Just paid it off in July has 35,000 miles and going to trade it in on a 2012 Honda Accord. The wife's 2009 Accord won me over. After about 5 poor quality GMs I am moving on.... It's been a great 6 years on the forum, but this MC has been by far the worse car in terms of build quality I have ever owned. I still support the #24 and #48 in NASCAR!
If you don't mind me asking, why do you feel like that? Monte Carlo's are great cars, mine's at 103680 miles and I've done alot of stuff to it, im going to be replacing the power steering pump tomorrow. Never had anything major happen.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would also like to know why you feel that way. They're solid cars and last forever if you take care of them. Only thing I've had to do to mine is change the oil and get new tires...

Old 09-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Same, i havent run into any issues. build quality is good imo.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:42 PM

maybe its like my dads 05 uplander and feels cheap lol but seriously that upander breaks stuff constanly and the electricals are funky and the alternator tapped out. Mine is a champ though

Old 09-15-2012, 05:54 PM

Good luck with the Accord hope it turns out well. Too bad you have to get rid of the Monte though

Old 09-15-2012, 06:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Where do you get this terrible build quality from?

If I read correctly, you put 35k on this car? That is nothing for mileage. What possibly could you have had issues with in that short of time frame? I know I've replaced a lot of things on my Monte Carlo but it's always been my own personal choice. I just rolled over 85k a few weeks ago and the only thing that has actually needed changed was a wheel hub, passenger side axle/halfshaft, oil, tires, and brakes. With the way I've treated it since I supercharged it, I'm not even surprised about the axle issue I had, that was my fault IMO.

SO, I'd say the build quality was pretty damn good and would definitely withstand normal driving conditions. Unless you've beat the hell out of it in those 35k short-lived miles, there's probably not any way you've experienced poor build quality out of it. Hell, even if you did abuse it for those miles you couldn't bash the quality, because at that point it would be the drivers poor habits that put its reliability to shame.

Best of luck with your Honda though

Also, who makes a thread stating their going to "dump" their Monte, on a Monte Carlo Forum? What are you trying to accomplish here?

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 09-15-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 PM

2 Rack and Pinion leaks, numerous oil leaks, cheap interior with poor fitting panels, DIC sometimes goes off saying the driver's door is open when it's not. The belt tensioner squeal during park manuvers is real embarassing... It has been replaced and all '06-07 MC 3.5 do it. The replacement rack leaking at 4K was unacceptable, coolant leak, 2 oil seals, passenger seat rocking (mechanism replaced) etc. Now the drivers seat creaks and pops. I am so disatisfied with it that I don't wish it much and have not done a full wax in a year. I used to wash it every weekend up until a year ago and wax twice a year. I was going to wax it soon and happy now that I don't have to...

The big thing is the tach just bouncing when cruising at 40 mph in 4th gear. I have baby'd this car since new and is only driven 8 miles to work during the week and rarely on the weekends. Maybe because the quality of the LS models is different. I have not been happy with it and after a couple months of buying it new I had buyers remorse. I am only getting rid of it since I am getting an Accord with 5K on it for a realy good price. At the time I only bought the MC in 2006 because of 0% financing and my payment was just $185 a month. Hindsight may be I should have bought an LT or an SS and would have been happier? I bought this one mainly because it is blue my favorite color and I added LT wheels.

The oil has been changed 2x a year and I the drive 5500 miles a year. Changed the coolant at year 4 It needs brakes and tires soon so I would rather just dump it. I don't like the boat ride anymore. The farthest I had taken it on a trip was Chicago to Indy. The Accord has tight steering and is just as quick with a 4 cyl.

I supported Chevy for NASCAR, but I am at the time in my life that I just need an appliance now that is reliable. I think the MC has seen the dealer about 8 times in 35,000 miles for repairs totally around $4-5K thank goodness that I bought an extended warranty. Maybe return with a Vette or Camaro once my son is grown and out of the house.

Not trying to accomplish anything just saying good bye and the reasons why... Hope others are happy with their MCs.

Peace.
Kind Regards,
Eric

Old 09-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Sorry to hear you had problems with your Monte. I'm sure it's like any make/model car though...they'll always be a lemon or two. I've had fairly good luck with mine so far not having to step outside of basic maintenance and upkeep. Best of luck to you in your new adventure.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:17 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Sucks you had bad luck, but on the Accord part, if you get the right 2012-2013 model it will put buses on even the v8 Monte.

On the build quality part, surprisingly this is one of the better cars GM has put out over the last 10 years. It's pathetic because for what it is, it shouldn't be. But I still love my 2000. All of the squeeks and leaks and hard seats don't matter to me much. Why?

Because it doesn't look like an Accord.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to dump my 2006 MC