General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): Front Rotors, Again...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Default Front Rotors, Again...

I replaced the front rotors on my 06 Monte 3.5 last year and started to get a pulsing when braking. My mechanic thought it was the rear rotors so i had them replaced, 200 bucks later still pulsing...
I used Pep boys rotors last time and dont want to waste my money on CRAP again.
Any Recommendations on rotors? I want something that is going to last.

Thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 06:55 AM

im surprised that the pepboy ones dont have a lifetime warranty.

these cars are notorious for warping rotors and going through brakes. the brakemotive brakes on ebay worked well for me for the last 2 years im going to have to replace them soon. i probably got 35000 miles on them and they were *** cheap. i think when i got them they were 200 or so for all for rotors and pads. no squealing, but starting to pulse. i was tough on them the last week or so on some super steep hills. im also pretty hard on the car in general.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

OEM rotors are good quality and competitively priced. They even make a drilled/slotted rotor if that is your preference. Just an FYI - most warpage/pulsing problems aren't caused by poor rotor quality. The main causes are improper lug nut torque, improper pad break-in, improper pad material for the rotor or excessive heat build up from riding the brake pedal.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just get a high quality blank. Centric makes a good rotor.

These cars are very heavy, and hard braking (especially when wet) can warp a rotor quickly.

Those brakemotive ones are GARBAGE. I had them on my car barely 2 years (and not many miles). The insides of the rotors completely got cut up, yet the pads still looked brand new. There is NO REASON why the rotor should be gouged the way it is. They are just cheap cheap cheap.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Just get a high quality blank. Centric makes a good rotor.

These cars are very heavy, and hard braking (especially when wet) can warp a rotor quickly.

Those brakemotive ones are GARBAGE. I had them on my car barely 2 years (and not many miles). The insides of the rotors completely got cut up, yet the pads still looked brand new. There is NO REASON why the rotor should be gouged the way it is. They are just cheap cheap cheap.
the cars are heavy and underbraked.

though i dont think brakemotive makes the worlds greatest product i wouldnt say theyre garbage. i definitely feel that theyre rotors/pads outperformed the factory stuff. just my opinion.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Why would a rotor gouge if the pad is in perfect shape?

Because underneath that coating that wears off is a pretty crappy base material.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Granted, if the rotor is cheaply made and the quality of material used is inferior a rotor can warp, but if you stick with a quality product (OEM, Raybestos, Bendix, Wagner, etc) it is very unlikely the rotor will warp. A lot of problems blamed on warped rotors are actually caused by other factors. Here's a couple of good reads about brakes:

Tech Article: Warped Brake Discs

-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths

Old 04-19-2012, 11:30 AM

i couldnt tell you the weight difference between the v6/v8 wbody, but what i cant tell you is that a good 90% if not more of the ls4 owners have complained about rotor warping. thats with the factory rotors. im pretty sure that all those complaints are not do to poor pad break in. i think its a weight problem, and possibly the oem brakes not being up to par. i dont think the gxps suffered from this having the bigger brake set up.
which should have come on all the 05 and up wbodys.

chibi i couldnt tell you if the brakemotive rotor metal is crappy, cheap, or poor quality. im not a metallurgist, nor do i work for them. im sure you could contact jim at brakemotive, and speak to him about the gouging. perhaps he would know the possible cause for it. ive never experienced it nor have i heard of any others having that issue. thats not to say you didnt have that issue, that others havent had it, or that it wasnt caused by there rotors just that ive never heard of it. ive seen very very few complaints about there product, and far more praises for it. a bad personal experience can sour a person on a company. many people swear by vfns fiberglass hoods, i had a bad experience with them, but whenever someone is looking for a hood for a 3rd gen i mention them, i tell them how i was screwed, but also say about how many more customers have been more than pleased with there product.

op to wrap up an overly long post, brakemotive makes a good product for the price that many are pleased with, and very few are disappointed with. i feel theyre better than the oem stuff, and many would agree.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Why don't you just got a rotor and pad with a lifetime warranty, then if you ever have an issue you just get them replaced.

They're easy enough to do that you wouldn't be spending any money, you'd just be using up your time.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:13 PM

In a lot for thread's I've seen Centric is good and I believe they are lifetime warranty

Quick Reply: 7th Gen ('06-'07): Front Rotors, Again...