General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

front and rear emblem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Default front and rear emblem

I'm getting ready to try to paint my front and rear emblems on my 06 MC. I really am not into the gold at all, and my car is red and black. I'm changing the color to red. Any helpful tips from anyone(ie sanding, etc).

If this doesn't look right i'm gonna buy two emblems for the older MC's but i figured might as well try to paint it first, not to mention the older ones are smaller than this huge gold cross.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: front and rear emblem

If memory serves me correctly, the gold bowties on the 06 & 07 can't be painted without looking like crap. I believe it's gold foil covered by clear plastic. But I could be wrong. It's been a while since I've taken a close look at the emblem.

You may be stuck with the older style hollowed-out bowtie. If you want a larger one, look into one from a truck or SUV. Or for a truely custom look, get the bowtie you like stencilled or painted on.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

Shoot this is easy... The emblems are held on withjust double sided tape. Use a soft plastic bondo putty kinfe, scrape the bows off the car (requires a little effort, but not much)... Pop the clear plastic on the bow tie itself... Paint it, snap on the clear... Take another piece of double sided tape... Center the emblem and reattach.

This way you do not risk getting unwanted paint or over spray on the car.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:40 PM

use some dental floss. it works better to get the emblems off.

Also if they cant be poped apart then use the finest sand papre you can find like 600 or better yet 1000.
then sand it till no gloss is left.
prime it with light and even coats for plastic.
then do the paint the same way light even coats.
inbetween you can wet sand the paint to make it supper smooth but find some like 1500 sand paper for that.

Also . Use some clear coat .
i used testors paints on alot of the stuff on emblems on cars etc... it is just a enamel paint in a smaller amount. and a whole lot cheaper to buy asmall can of it to find out it wont work then to get a car grade enamel and wasting.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:40 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you can find the shade of paint you want, try the Fusion paint. It's for plastic.

I might even be tempted to use a self-etching primer like most automotive stores sell. It will bite into the plastic and help the paint stick better.

But the Fusion paint is suppose to do this by itself.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:28 PM

and yes it is gold foil covered by plastic or a clear coat. i've seen some defective ones at work i've thrown in the trash (had air bubbles under the gold) so you could try to peel the gold off first before paint to avoid problems in the future.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:17 AM

thanks alot guys
I'm hoping to remove it and try these ideas today

Old 10-08-2007, 06:58 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I bought the gold bow ties Monte Mom removed from her car.

Went to remove the damaged from bow tie on my car with dental floss. The floss broke.

I'll try heating the damaged bow tie next time. Then using the floss to cut the backing.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: BLACK ATTACK

Shoot this is easy... The emblems are held on withjust double sided tape. Use a soft plastic bondo putty kinfe, scrape the bows off the car (requires a little effort, but not much)... Pop the clear plastic on the bow tie itself... Paint it, snap on the clear... Take another piece of double sided tape... Center the emblem and reattach.

This way you do not risk getting unwanted paint or over spray on the car.
finished it a couple of weeks ago. Easy as pie

[IMG]local://upfiles/3156/916538C088F74D5394A54DE9D18AAC4C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3156/4C5F846BD73E4BF982A43638241D80DC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-24-2007, 03:15 PM

Wow that looks sharp nix! Now you just need to paint the gold bowties on your liscence plate frames to match. Also what % tint do you have? It looks good

Quick Reply: front and rear emblem