General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Front license plate help

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Default Front license plate help

Hi there, I found this sight searching the net and was hoping someone could help. We bought our daughter a '03 Monte Carlo. It does not have any bracket for the front license plate as it was out of a state that doesn't require them. I called the local dealership and the parts guy was all confused. (not to bright) Anyhow I didn't know if you remove that "cover" on the bumper and put a bracket in there or how you go about it.
Any help would be appreciated!!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Default RE: Front license plate help

[align=center]Hi R.M., and Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I am surprised that your local Chevy Parts Dept did not know[/align][align=center]what your wanted : ( That is Sad : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I would call back, and ask for the Parts Manager, and get a price.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Check Out the Below Post by[/align][align=center]MCF Moderator `Taz[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Oh, your daughter is lucky to have loving parents that[/align][align=center]got her the awesome Chevrolet Monte Carlo.[/align][align=center]We hope she joins the forum and learns more about your[/align][align=center]new ride.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Good Luck from `Space[/align]

Old 08-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You shouldn't need a bracket.

There should be two small screws on the bottom edge of the licence plate deletecover that's filling in the hole where your plate goes. Remove the two screws. The top edge is held in by a couple tabs. Pull the cover straight down, and it should practically fall out in your hand.

Once the filler cover is off, you should see the holes for your licence plate already there. No bracket needed. There should be some square plastic inserts (usually white) that will give your licence plate screws something solid to screw into.

The two small screws you removed from the filler cover will be too small. You'll have to get some the same size as the ones holding your back licence plate.

Don't throw away the cover you removed. You can always sell it if you like.

There are a couple people here that are looking for one for their car.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:03 AM

Mod Taz,
Thanks for your posting the way to do it.
I have never had a front plate , they are not required
in the State of Florida.
My bad, No X-cuse : (
I know my 06 LT3 had a lic. bracket that was in the trunk
when I purchased it, but never used it or put it on.
It is great having members that have knowledge on so
many things about the Awesome Monte Carlo
I will place myself in time out.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

No problem Space. The 06 has a different front bumper.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:10 PM

pull the cover off and replace it with the plate. IF you want to have a frame around it etc.. you can do it just becarefule to watch behind there so you dont get any wires etc...

What i did was drill the holes in mine where they were to go then feed them threw from the back side and then just put the nuts and lock washers on the front side. then cut off the extra.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

I pulled my front plate off and looked. I was mistaken about the white plastic inserts. Mine is just like Mickey's. The dealership just drilled two holes in the plastic bumper. But it's thick enough and the screws are in there solid enough that I haven't had a problem yet. And it's gone through icy winter, bumpy roads,and been driven on the highway a lot. The screws are in there nice and solid.

You shouldn't have any problem. Just make sure you don't drill the holes too big. Get some screws first, then drill using the right size drill bit.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:36 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to MCF.

Don't forget to post a few pictures for us of this '03 Monte your daughter owns.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:36 AM

the other thing you can do is get some small self tapping screws and drill them in there. This is all i did at first. but had to do it the other way thanks to them ripping the plate off in shipping back to the states. either way works well and htey do make them tight enough to hold on there for ya

Old 08-26-2008, 08:04 AM

Thanks so much for everyones help!! She left for college the day after she got it. So when she comes back I'll have to get her plates on there.
I'll have to say when we first showed her the car she didn't like it. But then she drove it and she was hooked. I could only have wished to drive such a nice car when I was 18!!