General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Friend Needs Help/Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Question Friend Needs Help/Info

Ok, i got a friend with a 1984 Monte Carlo with a carburated 305. He just got a edelbrock intake manifold and a edelbrock performer 1405 600 carburator and exhaust. He also has headers. Whats the round about power he's making? and what are his chances with a 1992 5.0 302 Mustang GT wit intake and exhaust?

Old 04-26-2010, 06:08 PM

he should have no chance at all. that 305 made no power or torque from the factory. how many miles are on both cars and what kinda shape is that motor in? you gotta think about it like this the SS had the hot cam and it was like 180hp and it had some gearing to it, and a 5.0 should blow it away by numerous car lengths. the regular 305 id be shocked if they made more than 160/170hp take into account 26yrs and god knows how many miles maybe 140hp now. how much could the intake,exhaust,and carb have helped? maybe making 160hp. then take into account the mustangs were rated at 225 and were way lighter then that monte and he'd be foolish to think he could beat it. the good news is that the monte looks cooler and all the stuff he bought for it should bolt up to any other small block. 350s are a dime a dozen. the 305 was never really a performance motor and even when theyre stroked and built up theyre not impressive. make sure you make a vid of the runs. if the mustang doesnt have gearing then i would say if he gave you guys 4 lengths and the brake it might be fair. if it has gearing 10 lengths and the brake and i think it might still run you down. with gearing,timing,good driver, and a good tire the 5.0s were capable of high 13s. but remember never back down from challenge especially from a ford. im done rambling.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
he should have no chance at all. that 305 made no power or torque from the factory. how many miles are on both cars and what kinda shape is that motor in? you gotta think about it like this the SS had the hot cam and it was like 180hp and it had some gearing to it, and a 5.0 should blow it away by numerous car lengths. the regular 305 id be shocked if they made more than 160/170hp take into account 26yrs and god knows how many miles maybe 140hp now. how much could the intake,exhaust,and carb have helped? maybe making 160hp. then take into account the mustangs were rated at 225 and were way lighter then that monte and he'd be foolish to think he could beat it. the good news is that the monte looks cooler and all the stuff he bought for it should bolt up to any other small block. 350s are a dime a dozen. the 305 was never really a performance motor and even when theyre stroked and built up theyre not impressive. make sure you make a vid of the runs. if the mustang doesnt have gearing then i would say if he gave you guys 4 lengths and the brake it might be fair. if it has gearing 10 lengths and the brake and i think it might still run you down. with gearing,timing,good driver, and a good tire the 5.0s were capable of high 13s. but remember never back down from challenge especially from a ford. im done rambling.
well the original motor was blown and was replaced with a SS 305 by the previous owner, so it is a SS motor. He plans on giving this 305 hell and blowing it up before he goes and buys a 350. He's wantin to race my friend with the Mustang, and I was wondering how that would go. So the Monte is around 200hp after the intake and carb now?

Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM

it maybe close to 200hp depending on the shape of the motor. dont forget to bump the timing up on it. are you guys racing on the street or the track? cause if your racing on the street torque is what matters. i think for that race to be a fair match up that monte would have to make more like 275hp if its a stick mustang. i really dont think you guys are going to be able to even hold your own unless you have some gearing and stall. if you can get the numbers off the heads and the block you can have a better idea of what your working with. back in the day my 80 with a 400 that was only making like 180hp could beat 5.0s with an equal amount of work. at the time i had a performer intake, 600 holley carb, headers, 350 trans with 2500 stall, and 2.73 open rear. but the 80 is quite a bit lighter than 81+ and the 400 made a hell of a lot more torque then the 305. once i threw the ss rear in it id rip away like they were standing still but would run out of motor with the 3 speed. where are you guys located? i might have another ss rear i want to get rid of.

http://mortec.com/

Last edited by TheMonteMan; 04-26-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
it maybe close to 200hp depending on the shape of the motor. dont forget to bump the timing up on it. are you guys racing on the street or the track? cause if your racing on the street torque is what matters. i think for that race to be a fair match up that monte would have to make more like 275hp if its a stick mustang. i really dont think you guys are going to be able to even hold your own unless you have some gearing and stall. if you can get the numbers off the heads and the block you can have a better idea of what your working with. back in the day my 80 with a 400 that was only making like 180hp could beat 5.0s with an equal amount of work. at the time i had a performer intake, 600 holley carb, headers, 350 trans with 2500 stall, and 2.73 open rear. but the 80 is quite a bit lighter than 81+ and the 400 made a hell of a lot more torque then the 305. once i threw the ss rear in it id rip away like they were standing still but would run out of motor with the 3 speed. where are you guys located? i might have another ss rear i want to get rid of.

http://mortec.com/
Western North Carolina, the monte is automatic and so is the mustang

Old 04-26-2010, 07:49 PM

ok well thats a different story. the auto stangs werent as quick, i still dont think you guys have a chance but it shouldnt be such a thrashing. bump the timing up on that monte and come out of the hole as hard as you can. maybe try and cut some weight on it too.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:03 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

...... chances with a 1992 5.0 302 Mustang GT wit intake and exhaust?
Historic event.

5.0 Stang setting at R/R crossing waiting on the train to finish and gates to go up so driver could look cool infront of everyone around.

Unassuming (of all things) white 3.0 Dodge Shadow setting next to Stang. Stang owner knows it's an easy kill. And plans on "Showing" the dude setting next to him once the R/R gate raise up.

Train finished. Gates go up. All the Stang owner sees is the taillights on the Dodge. (WHAT???)

If you buddy changes out the stock carb for an aftermarket he will need to replace the distributor with one not computer operated. The carb and distributor on the 1980s Montes are computer operated. Therefore if you change one, the other needs repalced, too.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:11 PM

yeah, dude i had a cutlass with the 305, i was working on it for a while and just gave up. it also had a recuilt carb, motor, and trans. that thing was pathetic. id be suprised if its even making 160hp. i had a tempo with a 5speed and 145000 miles and it would still blow that thing away, the tempo also had open headers and a slipping clutch.
sorry for the downer but, those 305's were not made to be fast they were the economy/luxury engine. now the 307 was the performance engine for those cars.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:12 PM

by the way those 305's are still the 5.0's right? theyre just called out different?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:30 PM

It's not my car lol. He said he's just goin to run the 305 till it blows, he wants to drop a crate 350 motor in it.

Quick Reply: Friend Needs Help/Info