General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

first time enthusiast need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Default first time enthusiast need help!

Hi, this is my first time ever having a car that would be worth putting money into. I just got a 88 ls and I would like to increase the performance.
Could you guys give me some suggestions for someone with little mechanical knowledge?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 AM

Welcome to the MCF

How many miles on your 88 Monte ?

How is your present engine ? Do you want to mod your V6 ?

Post more about your Monte & also your performance budget & it will help our expert member's assist you in your future plans...

We would also enjoy seeing pictures of your Monte...We love pictures of Monte's on the MCF

Look forward to your reply...

Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

What do you have in there for an engine.an what kind of budget you have to work with.
A lot would depend on what you want out of the car.ie a fast car or a show car

Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 AM

Well, the car is the 305 V8 model. The car has 97,000 miles on it. The guy took great care of it. I would like to make this car faster but me still being a college student and my knowledge on auto mechanics isn't that great limits what I can do and what I can spend.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 AM

Thanks for your reply & pic

First thing I would do is make sure that you have good tires/brakes/shocks....All fluids/filters/hoses/battery/tune up/ and that everything is in good shape...

How does it run now ? Any major problems ?

If you want power, I'd save for a 5.7L 350 cubic inch engine.
Explore the MCF & you will learn a lot about Monte's + use your search engine on parts/updates & the cost.

I suggest getting your Monte in top condition b-4 you invest your $'s into performance....Power is Great, but power can cost Big $'s...It's your decision, but it's great to have a good reliable car as a foundation for future mod's...
(WoW, am I started to sound like an adult)

Good Luck 4 Sure...EnJoy the MCF
Check back to see what other member's post.....

p.s. What classes are you taking in college ? What's you major ?
Do they have any automotive classes ? If not, you can learn a lot on the web `if you take
the time to search...It's never ending & there are some great resources out there..
Plus they have a thing called a library in many towns that have a thing call a book..
They have many books on learning about cars/engines/transmission etc...LOL

Last edited by Space; 12-17-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 AM

I changed the oil last night and added motor medic because I was loosing about 10 psi in oil pressure. My grandpa advised me to put 15 40 oil in it. Im putting new rotors and pads on early. Also, I just cleaned the carburetor and replaced the air filter. But she needs a tune-up badly because I'm only getting 9 MPG.

My grandfather has a engine from a 1970 Buick skylark its a high performance 350 v8 that maybe I can buy off him for $400. Would that be worth it?
My major is computer information systems. My college doesn't offer any classes but I might go to a a program that high school students go.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it a buick 350 you'll need to get the trans for it too.Different bell housing.9mpg's is pretty bad even for that 305.Have you changed the fuel filter?
A good cap rotor plugs an wires should help a lot if they are old.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 AM

Yes actually the transmission is still attached! And no sir I will take a look at that today. Thank you for the advice.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 AM

It's great to read that you are taking care & doing maintenace work on your Monte...$400 isn't a bad price if it's with the transmission & is in running condition with no problems.

First, I suggest getting everything else in top condition and making your Monte reliable...+ that you may consider taking a automotive class...(I believe it's a great investment of your time)..You can save a lot of dollars if you are able to service & repair your own car/vehicle 4-Sure) Good Luck

Keep us updated on your progress & decisions....

Old 12-17-2012, 08:27 AM

Thanks!

Quick Reply: first time enthusiast need help!