General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): First Damage 😥

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default First Damage 😥

Well guys, yesterday I was involved in my first ever car accident where I was driving. I was stopped, waiting for a car to pass so I could make the turn into my driveway when a motorcyclist drilled me from behind, flying into my rear windshield. The damage could've been worse but I'm PISSED about my ground effects!! There's a hole in it that you can't really see and my bumper is slightly higher than the right side. Devastated 😭

Old 08-05-2020, 11:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Make sure you inform the motorcyclist that he will still be responsible for the repairs that his insurance company won't want to pay!

Old 08-07-2020, 12:12 AM

Sad about your car 😢
Hopefully the biker got hurt (I hate bikers with a passion) but not hurt enough that he doesn’t pay to have it fixed as good as before the accident.
I remember when my car had $5800 damage caused by someone making an illegal left turn in front of me. My Monte took everything in front of the front tires clean off a Sunfire. Rad support, rad, headlights and the front bumper were laying in the intersection. Monte could drive away. Took a month at the body shop (happened over Christmas) and the day I got it back some ******* hit my front bumper trying to parallel park in front of me and made some nasty damage. Worst Christmas ever. Decided I’d never drive it in the semi winter months again and never have 13 years later.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
Hopefully the biker got hurt (I hate bikers with a passion) but not hurt enough that he doesn’t pay to have it fixed as good as before the accident.
Thats rude AF to be honest. Regardless what the cause was - mechanical failure, driver took his eyes off the road for a second, etc wishing bodily harm on somebody for an accident is pretty low.

I totally undersrand that some bikers ride pretty crazy (is it really any worse than all the text and drive people in cars?), but thats someone's father / brother / kid. All people make mistakes, including yourself - its not like the biker intentionally slammed into his car. No car is worth more than someone's health.

I also don't get all the comments about 'making him pay'. Thats the whole purpose of insurance. If he doesn't have enough insurance, that's why you carry uninsured / under insured on your policy. This is why you have to make sure you've got the right policy / terms for the coverage you want. If you're relying on taking the guy to small claims to get any money for the wreck, then that's on you for not being prepared.

I don't care how good of a driver you are, practically everyone will get in at least 1 wreck in their life. Could be a small dent or you could be disfigured for life, but you need to be prepared and insured for it.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 08-07-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:55 AM

Sad about the car.
I bet it was a wake-up call for the motorcyclist! But just the same, I wouldn't want him to be hurt... just his pride and his pocketbook. A smart rider would take it as a learning experience.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:03 AM

Your right I don’t wish harm upon anyone, I just know multiple people that have destroyed their car while trying to avoid hitting a motorcyclist and the bikers have literally rode away without even checking to see if they were okay. Another friend of mine is in a wheelchair for life after a motorcycle slammed into his drivers door and broke his spine. And around here the bikers all seem to think they own the road riding 2 wide and in packs of around 6-20 and then they cruise the exact speed limit or under and if you try to pass they all speed up to make it hard to pass them.
I don’t have patience or compassion for bikers due to all this. I give them zero road respect and call the police on them as often as I can.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

At least it looks to be just cosmetic. Bring it to the best body person around for a quote and send that to their insurance company.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
I just know multiple people that have destroyed their car while trying to avoid hitting a motorcyclist and the bikers have literally rode away without even checking to see if they were okay.
Sounds like a pretty unfortunate split second judgment call. I'd never swerve so much as to risk destroying my car / risking me and my family's health to avoid hitting someone. I do prioritize human life over a vehicle, but not someone else's health over mine. I'll certainly do what I can with the road space I have to maneuver in, but thats where I draw the line. I'd certainly rather hit a bike than another car or something hard and stationary off the road.

I get everyone's different though, I've seen people kill themselves trying to swerve to avoid a deer and end up cutting the car in half on a tree.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:26 PM

Around here the bicyclists cause way more problems than the motorcyclists. They act as though they were in a tank and don't have to pay attention to anything except where THEY want to go. (Rules of the road? What are those?)

Old 08-14-2020, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by RedandBlackSS
Around here the bicyclists cause way more problems than the motorcyclists. They act as though they were in a tank and don't have to pay attention to anything except where THEY want to go. (Rules of the road? What are those?)
I totally forgot about them - thats a good point as we have similar issues.

We've got a 4 lane divided surface street leaving work (2 lanes each way). It always gets very congested in rush hour going home, both lanes are packed as it ultimately feeds into the highway system a ways down. The bicycles love it though for whatever reason.

There are signs posted that a bicycle is entitled to a full lane, thus you've got to treat them as a car.

So what they'll do is buzz by 50 cars waiting at a stop sign by riding on the shoulder, make a slow roll through the stop sign, and then jump back to the middle of the lane, forcing every single one of those cars they passed to now merge over and around because they can't so the speed limit. That causes even more chaos and congestion, especially when you get those that keep waffling between if they want to take the whole lane like a car or head for the shoulder to try and pass people.

I've seen numerous car accidents caused by their inability to follow the rules of the road.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): First Damage 😥