General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Exhaust Shop Refused To Do My U-Bend

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Default RE: Exhaust Shop Refused To Do My U-Bend

The problem with the U-bend delete is there is no prove what so ever.
Everyone that has one, had other things done to it at the same time so what are you measuring?
I can't find one post at all that someone took a completely stock Monte/GP and did one to report if anything was found.
And interesting tech article was done and posted at Thrasher.
It shows the exhaust being cut off in stages while measuring the pressure changes made.
It stops at the U-bend and says sometime later they'll do it. Are they really gonna do it, or did that and found it really wasn't enough to justify possibly ruining there sales of there U-bend delete?
Also found interesting was cutting the mufflers off.
It showed pretty decent changes, but it makes no sense or does it?
Once the exhaust reaches the rear Y, backpressure should significantly drop since now you've double the size of both the pipes and possible muffler flows by having 2. But yet it doesn't show that fact, only that it dropped too much for what was there. Now what about the Y creating such a disturbance that it in itself is the reason.
We have 3 W bodies sitting in the driveway.
3 different exhaust configurations.
3 would most definitely run different times with the lightest being the slowest.
Whats the difference?
The one I would judge as being the fastest has a single system.
The next one has a dual, but smaller resonator by far than ^^^^ does.
The last one has dual and a giant resonator.
So we took out the resonator and it is now as fast as the second one. And the second one has no U-bend and neither does the first one.
Its saying to me, do a single muffler where the resonator is and then if dual look is wanted, y after it. That way the muffler beyond the Y isn't compounding the problem, which I think is some fashion they are.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: JD87SS

The problem with the U-bend delete is there is no prove what so ever.
Everyone that has one, had other things done to it at the same time so what are you measuring?
I can't find one post at all that someone took a completely stock Monte/GP and did one to report if anything was found.
And interesting tech article was done and posted at Thrasher.
It shows the exhaust being cut off in stages while measuring the pressure changes made.
It stops at the U-bend and says sometime later they'll do it. Are they really gonna do it, or did that and found it really wasn't enough to justify possibly ruining there sales of there U-bend delete?
Also found interesting was cutting the mufflers off.
It showed pretty decent changes, but it makes no sense or does it?
Once the exhaust reaches the rear Y, backpressure should significantly drop since now you've double the size of both the pipes and possible muffler flows by having 2. But yet it doesn't show that fact, only that it dropped too much for what was there. Now what about the Y creating such a disturbance that it in itself is the reason.
We have 3 W bodies sitting in the driveway.
3 different exhaust configurations.
3 would most definitely run different times with the lightest being the slowest.
Whats the difference?
The one I would judge as being the fastest has a single system.
The next one has a dual, but smaller resonator by far than ^^^^ does.
The last one has dual and a giant resonator.
So we took out the resonator and it is now as fast as the second one. And the second one has no U-bend and neither does the first one.
Its saying to me, do a single muffler where the resonator is and then if dual look is wanted, y after it. That way the muffler beyond the Y isn't compounding the problem, which I think is some fashion they are.

Umm.... I got proof.

I posted earlier on another thread regarding the Wizaird CAI brought me from 193 hp to 201. I did the U-Bend next and that brought me up to 209. I should chime in though that this was part of an upgrade as it was a whole Random Tech Downpipe and not only the Ubend.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:05 AM

ORIGINAL: RickCoMatic

With a "Don't be silly" and a "Get the hell out of here" ... the Exhaust Shop guy told me I was crazy and getting ready to do more harm than good when I asked for an estimate to to the U-Bend Delete.
try a different shop

I've heard of lots of shops refusing to do this, but due to liability issues

Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 PM

hey man i bought some flowmaster 40s and i was told to take the ubend and resonator off is that in the muffler or is that something else.i know this guy that has a 3.4 like mine wit the same mods and his sounds great with flowmasters and he dont have a ubend or resonator should i get it done

Old 01-21-2009, 11:41 PM

If you take the U bend out Ifand if it flows better to get more HP you need more intake to take up what was taking out so more flow means more intake means more fuel. But as you all know these cars are computer run. The o2 sensor tells the computer what to send down the pipe so if you don't re-tune the PCM you have done nothing but made a hole in your pipe. To make it work you have to have the PCM tune to the mods or you have done nothing to it. The computer controls the rate of fuel that is sent then 02 tells the computer if to much is there and leans it out or make it richer. Computer control cars are here...If you want more HP and better fuel get your PCM tune to your car mods other then the factory. Money talks and HP barks. To have a little you have to give a lot. The sound does not make HP... It what makes the sound is HP.

ThePCM at work...The brain of engine control....

Old 01-24-2009, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

Cars of the 70's and 80's were stuffed with so much power robbing emissions, very few to none had over 200 hp.

After 1992 or so when the gubment lifted a lot of restrictions, it was normal for most cars and trucks to have over 200 hp.
That's what modding is for and that is why I did an engine swap, deleted my ERG valve, put on headers and dual exhaust and flanged my Magnaflow high-flow cats. I can put my cats on for emissions testing and then once I pass bolt in a nice piece of straight pipe and I'm good for another two years.

Back on topic, I'd find another shop. That mechanic is a moron. Everybody in my car club (Portland Club Grand Prix) has done the U-bend delete and had nothing go wrong.