General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Ever had Ethanol gas issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Default Ever had Ethanol gas issues?

I just read that engines manufactured before 1998 should not use gasoline containing ethanol. It states that ethanol can cause various issues which includes part damage. Has anyone here ever had a problem with ethanol? Around here, I don't think it was put in gas until 2006. I remember seeing signs on gas pumps at that time stating that the gas contains 10% ethanol.

It's interesting because now I hear the EPA has approved 15% ethanol in gas and that as of now, only 12% of vehicles will be able to use it. I think it said that cars manufactured before 2007 can't use it because it will damage the parts, but even some cars made after 2007 will have issues.

So it makes me wonder whether anyone here has ever had a problem with 10% ethanol.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:27 AM

I don't have any problem with it in my 93 Burb at the moment. Just a drop in fuel economy. 15% is going to be overdoing it though. But I don't use it in the 73 unless I'm on a road trip and have no other choice. Thankfully there are plenty of places to get ethanol free fuel around here. And even more back home in Oklahoma so I'll be set when I move back.

I wonder if this is their way to try to get people to buy newer vehicles and force older ones off the road (like cash for clunkers). Don't see it working, just more money getting spent on on repairs in the end. I know I don't plan on buying something that new anytime in the forseeable future. Nothing I really like to be honest too that's that new.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They're probably using '07 as the 'cutoff' because not as many engines prior to that were designed like the flex-fuel engines of today. The composition of Ethanol makes it a water magnet. The water attacks various parts of the fuel system including the pump, lines, regulator and injectors. That's why it is a good idea to run a bottle of cleaner (that can displace water) through the system every 30,000 miles or so - more often in areas with colder temps and high humidity. Some of the older vehicles also use rubber parts in the fuel system that are not compatible with Ethanol. These parts will deteriorate over time, but replacement parts are compatible so that problem isn't as common anymore. If they go to 15% a slight reduction in mpg might be noticed, but as long as you stay on top of your maintenance your fuel system shouldn't suffer from the additional 5% Ethanol.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:16 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

We ran 87 (no ethanol) in our Grand prix since we got it new. Since I've started driving it at 185k, I have only used 89 (10% ethanol). I am now at 230,000 miles.

Ethanol is not bad for your car in any way at all. Don't stress it.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:47 PM

Can't get enthanol free fuel in MA lmao my car is about to hit 170k. She still runs well and most of those miles I'm assuming are on 10% ethanol fuel.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I miss the smell and performance of leaded Gasoline!

I say we all write congress to bring back the good stuff!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've heard carburated engines don't like ethanol.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:34 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
I've heard carburated engines don't like ethanol.
Some of the older ones have had some issues with o rings breaking down running e85. I ran e10 in my Monte with a 4 Barrel and it ran just fine, just has to be jetted right.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Some of the older ones have had some issues with o rings breaking down running e85. I ran e10 in my Monte with a 4 Barrel and it ran just fine, just has to be jetted right.
The Ethanol also attacks the accelerator pump and the float needle assemblies but as previously mentioned replacement parts (carb rebuild kit) would contain rubber parts compatible with Ethanol. On an older carbureted vehicle any OE rubber fuel supply lines should also be replaced.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM

One of the reasons I asked the question about ethanol is because I believe it is consistently damaging parts of the fuel system in one of my older cars. I've had problems with it since ethanol was put in gas around here (2006). In fact, two weeks ago I filled it up with gas (10% ethanol) and drove immediately home (about 5-7 minutes). As soon as I pulled in my driveway, the car cut off and wouldn't start back up. I had my dad take a look at it and there's water in frickin everything. If we didn't know better, we'd swear that someone poured water in the gas tank. And this water problem only started after 2006. It makes me very suspicious of the gas.

There have been consistent problems with the fuel system since 2006, when ethanol was put in gas around here. These problems have happened every year since 2006. The only year I didn't have a problem was in 2012, but that's probably because I had major repairs in 2011. I figure everything was new enough that it didn't deteriorate until now. My car hasn't been running right for two weeks and I ended up having to take it to a mechanic this morning.

My grandpa has an '87 Monte Carlo, but he hasn't used it much since the ethanol was put in the gas (around 2006), so it's hard to tell if it's caused any problems. There are problems, but we don't know what exactly is going on. But it looks like ethanol only causes problems for a small handful of older cars. Or maybe people haven't linked their problems to the ethanol.

Quick Reply: Ever had Ethanol gas issues?