General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: Engine starts but shuts off after 2 seconds. HELP PLPEASE!!!

Old 03-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Exclamation Engine starts but shuts off after 2 seconds. HELP PLPEASE!!!

Hey guys, my name is Ivan and I'm very new to the forum. I own a 2001 Monte Carlo SS w/ 119,000. I'm having a major issue where my car doesn't stay on right after starting, and a noticeable smell of gas follows.

Some concerns to note are:
Engine was misfiring prior to the issue. Changed the front three spark plugs about a month ago and that fixed the misfiring problem for about a week or so only. Haven't changed the rear bottom three yet because its almost impossible to change them myself, as you guys may already know how much of a hassle those three can be to change.

The last drive i had with it, the engine was accelerating on its own. Fluctuating idle and close to 3000 rpm when in park. Turned the car on after work that day and it just died after about a minute. Now it wont stay on at all. I give it a little gas and that keeps it going for about another 5 seconds but still dies when i let off.

Checked and cleaned the MAS and that seemed to be fine. Could it also be bad coil packs or ignition module? Clogged fuel filter? I've had a mechanic tell me it might be a bad fuel pump or bad fuel regulator, and I'm really really really hoping its not the fuel pump .

Any advise on what i should do next? Any advise helps!

Old 03-18-2017, 04:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Dwade305
Hey guys, my name is Ivan and I'm very new to the forum. I own a 2001 Monte Carlo SS w/ 119,000. I'm having a major issue where my car doesn't stay on right after starting, and a noticeable smell of gas follows.

Some concerns to note are:
Engine was misfiring prior to the issue. Changed the front three spark plugs about a month ago and that fixed the misfiring problem for about a week or so only. Haven't changed the rear bottom three yet because its almost impossible to change them myself, as you guys may already know how much of a hassle those three can be to change.

The last drive i had with it, the engine was accelerating on its own. Fluctuating idle and close to 3000 rpm when in park. Turned the car on after work that day and it just died after about a minute. Now it wont stay on at all. I give it a little gas and that keeps it going for about another 5 seconds but still dies when i let off.

Checked and cleaned the MAS and that seemed to be fine. Could it also be bad coil packs or ignition module? Clogged fuel filter? I've had a mechanic tell me it might be a bad fuel pump or bad fuel regulator, and I'm really really really hoping its not the fuel pump .

Any advise on what i should do next? Any advise helps!

There could be a quick fix to it, there is a Major Vacuum line the runs from the upper intake to the fire wall area on the drivers side if this is broken or off in either end it will cause the symptoms you are indicating. Any Vacuum leaks are an issue.
It could be the fuel filter as well that I would change anyway every 20K or so, if it hasn't been changed that you are aware of you may want to consider that, it should be located under the car on the passenger side near the rear of the front seat.
Another thing that can cause this problem is the Cat. Converter that could be plugged.
You might check those items.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Wondering if you have any lights on the dash at this time that isn't normal? Do you have a scanner? if you have one that will look over Freeze Frame data there maybe something saved in your cars computers that may help pinpoint your issue

Old 03-18-2017, 08:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sound like a fuel pressure regulator to me. Classic symptoms you are describing, especially when you can smell the fuel.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Sound like a fuel pressure regulator to me. Classic symptoms you are describing, especially when you can smell the fuel.
I agree. I had a similar experience with the FPR.

Replace it and see if it'll fix your issue.

Search this Thread