General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Info: Electrical Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 11:21 AM
Default Electrical Question

Hello everyone. I have a quick electrical Question about my 2000 Monte Carlo SS.
I bought the car used from a Buy here Pay here place in California, and I am restoring it. the car is in great shape and I have an electrical issue. Every once and awhile the Cruise control, and upper center display don't work. I have check the fuses, and plugged in a diag box and have found nothing. The key ignition is not the original, and was changed. some times when I cycle the ignition everything comes back. So is it possible this could be the cause?

Old 06-03-2017, 12:19 PM

This isnt a solution to your problem but listen...

I took the entire cruise control module out of my car..

Me and the family went on a road trip to Colorado a few months ago.. Cruise control STUCK on me, not just stuck but fully engaged itself.. Turned it off, still stuck. Pressed the brakes as hard as I felt safe, still stuck at WOT.

Even after I managed to get the car stopped and in park, it was still bouncing off the rev limiter.. Shut off the car and restart, still WOT!!!

Had to turn the key off (while driving), stop and put it into park, then unhook the cruise cable from the throttle body..

Be careful.. Im very weary about cruise control anymore and feel everyone needs this warning..

Old 06-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had random electrical glitches in which like yourself power cycling would make them go away. Wiggling connectors did nothing, so I disconnected every wire connector under the hood coming from the firewall, sprayed them with DeOxit and plugged them in and out several times.

That fixed the most annoying of all - the ABS system needs attention light. Still got the occasional seatbelt then airbag warning but less frequently.

DeOxit is a premium electronic contact cleaner. Check Amazon for it,