General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Doorman ISS any good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 AM
Default Doorman ISS any good?

I'm looking at finally doing some work to my old 03 SS and one of the things that's bugging me a little bit is the steering. Its not giving any loud bangs as have been described elsewhere, but I do get a bit of a clunk anytime I turn the wheel (or if I wiggle the wheel back and forth) this seems to be ISS related because it sounds like it is coming from inside the cabin (i.e. not the rack). I have looked around and I can get a Doorman unit for around $65+ shipping which is a good deal cheaper than any GM parts I have found. This makes me wonder about the Doorman though and whether its any good.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by 03MonteCarloSuperSport
I'm looking at finally doing some work to my old 03 SS and one of the things that's bugging me a little bit is the steering. Its not giving any loud bangs as have been described elsewhere, but I do get a bit of a clunk anytime I turn the wheel (or if I wiggle the wheel back and forth) this seems to be ISS related because it sounds like it is coming from inside the cabin (i.e. not the rack). I have looked around and I can get a Doorman unit for around $65+ shipping which is a good deal cheaper than any GM parts I have found. This makes me wonder about the Doorman though and whether its any good.
Mine turned out to be both the ISS and outer tie rod ends, so you might want to check them too. That's not a bad price at all for the ISS, I'd say go for it, worst case you have to replace it again down the road, but you'll have eliminated that from the equation. Have you had the front end aligned? Mine would have clued me in on the tie rods, but I also had extreme tire wear on the inside of my front tires. The place I bought it from pulled a fast one and put them on the rears..:O) Good luck!

Old 04-11-2014, 07:12 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Try just greasing the knuckle instead of doing a full replacement.

Just drop the kick panel, pull back the rubber boot and you'll see the (probably dry) knuckle that is making the noise. Get some white lithium or gun oil in there, turn the wheel, spray some more, etc.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:06 AM

How hard is this to replace? My 06 SS is doing this and only has 13K miles. The grease must have dried out from sitting too much.