Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   Does it really pay to do your own maintenance? (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/does-really-pay-do-your-own-maintenance-26869/)

Cowboy6622 03-18-2011 11:14 PM

Only thing I don't do is transmission and exhaust system work....

KJRich 03-19-2011 01:50 PM

I do my own maintenance. Repairs are another matter, of course. Depends on how difficult it is.

EarnhardtZ71 03-19-2011 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS (Post 307361)
My fiance and I do oil changes, brake fluid changes, coolant change, supercharger oil change and we are going to flush out some of the trans fluid, rotate tires. I haven't had anything major happen to the car yet but if that would come up I would have to get that done at a shop.

This. I do most of the minor stuff myself. My wife doesn't help though :D My next step is to see if my Dad and I can do it. If that doesn't work, then it goes to a shop.

Enzo354 03-19-2011 02:17 PM

Everything but tranny and brakes. Im lazy and take it in for oil changes though ;)

One Dark SS 03-20-2011 12:36 PM

try to do everything myself (with the help of forums and friends) if i doint have the tool, i'll usually just go buy it or rent it... just gotta remember where all the parts go and retorque everything properly :)

things i wouldnt do: rebuild a tranny, or anything that requires a tech 2 scan tool... just take it in for that!

saigashooter 03-20-2011 02:39 PM

I do as much as I can with the tools I have. I wish I had a lift ion the garage, but that's not going to happen in an apartment. I haven't done the plugs yet on the Monte, as I'm not exactly sure how to go about rotating the engine forward.

Last weekend I replaced a wheel bearing and a tie rod end on the Monte. I still have to take it in and have the lower control arm bushings replaced, as I don't think I have the tools to do that myself.

Outside of that, I always do my oil changes, air filters, brakes, batteries, belts, fuel filter and I've now learned how to do door hinges, electric seat motor and track, and IAC valves on my fiancées 96 Mustang GT.

70monte1 03-20-2011 05:33 PM

I do all my own maintainence but there are some repairs that I have a shop do. Some of the stuff I can do but just don't feel like doing or depending on the time of the year, I might have someone else do it. The older I get, the less repair stuff I feel like doing. Being kind of poor at the moment also dictates what I do myself.

Wayne

The_Maniac 03-21-2011 08:05 AM

I am a "do-it-all myself". So far, the only things I don't do is exhaust work (not worth being under a car for that and there are good shops that can weld in a nice replacement exhaust with stainless steel if needed). And transmission work (I can change trans fluid, but outside of that, anything in the trans requiring service, I have not tried to conquer).
I have done head gaskets, water pumps, control arms, shocks, struts and the list goes on and on and on.....

werewolf-odst 03-21-2011 09:09 AM

i am still learning, so good thing i am on this site, but anything serious i take to a local shop.

Chevy Commando 03-21-2011 09:27 PM

If you can do your own maintaince...that way you know what is going on with the car. If something is bent or leaking or rusting then you know about it and will not come as a surprise down the road or make it look like the shop is trying to get more money out of you. Or by doing something yourself you know when the shop is trying to get more money out of you as well.