General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Does My Monte Exist?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 12:34 AM
Default Does My Monte Exist?

Hey guys.

For years my brother has dreamed of getting an 88 Monte SS in black with the red stripes and burgundy interior. I've been looking for a few weeks now and I find a lot of gray interior with a black exterior.

I've found a few black exterior with burgundy interior which is what I want but they've been $20,000. I'm hoping to spend about 1/2 that since this will just be a Sunday driver kind of car.

If I can't find what I'm looking for then is it possible to convert the gray interior into the burgundy. I'm a total newbie and I'm not afraid to do the work if it's something that not too bad. Also, any idea what the cost might be if it's possible to swap the interior out?

Old 02-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by longislandcamper
Hey guys.

For years my brother has dreamed of getting an 88 Monte SS in black with the red stripes and burgundy interior. I've been looking for a few weeks now and I find a lot of gray interior with a black exterior.

I've found a few black exterior with burgundy interior which is what I want but they've been $20,000. I'm hoping to spend about 1/2 that since this will just be a Sunday driver kind of car.

If I can't find what I'm looking for then is it possible to convert the gray interior into the burgundy. I'm a total newbie and I'm not afraid to do the work if it's something that not too bad. Also, any idea what the cost might be if it's possible to swap the interior out?

They are out there you just have to be patient in your search. I have been looking for a Black Aero Coupe with a black interior for some time now when I find it I am just a few days short and it is gone.

You might try Craigslist just type in Monte Carlo in Auto's don't be to specific and then search several states and see what comes up. the Burgundy interior is prone to fading and you might have to have it redone unless it has been in a garage.
Nice ones could cost from 8K to 20K, I would consider a color change to the exterior before a reupholstering job.
I checked on this not long ago for another car and it was almost 9K to redo the interior. Good Luck in your search!!

The chance of finding one in a salvage yard in that vintage maybe a challenge for sure.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member

like #3 said, try craigslist, or check the ads on montecarloss.com they cater to 83-88 SS montes exclusively. Finding a black/burg interior car isn't uncommon. ive owned 14 of those 85 up SS and only 3 of those didn't have burgundy interior. What may limit you more is only in search of the 88 model year. 85 was the first year offered black and was either gray or burgundy interior options. 85-88 SS are mechanically the same car with cosmetic changes in 86 which was the side mirrors , instrument cluster, wheels. other than that 85 and 86 are the same. 87-88s again had a couple more cosmetic updates, the rear bumper cover, tail lights, and stripes. also 87-88 black and white cars could also get a tan colored interior along with the more common burgundy or grey.
depending on your location will be another factor here in NC you can find these cars, not dirt cheap but not over the top for the most part.
ive saw a couple 85s close by in excellent shape very reasonable with the color combo you desire. they are around but just gotta pick and choose.

As for #3 hunting a black aerocoupe with black interior, that will be like finding chickens teeth. A black SS aero or notch back which would have to be a 87 aerocoupe, ( all 200 of the 86 aeros are white) would either be burgundy, tan, or grey interior. Black interior wasn't a factory option. unless its been changed,by prior ownership it wasn't available.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Aerocoupe86
like #3 said, try craigslist, or check the ads on montecarloss.com they cater to 83-88 SS montes exclusively. Finding a black/burg interior car isn't uncommon. ive owned 14 of those 85 up SS and only 3 of those didn't have burgundy interior. What may limit you more is only in search of the 88 model year. 85 was the first year offered black and was either gray or burgundy interior options. 85-88 SS are mechanically the same car with cosmetic changes in 86 which was the side mirrors , instrument cluster, wheels. other than that 85 and 86 are the same. 87-88s again had a couple more cosmetic updates, the rear bumper cover, tail lights, and stripes. also 87-88 black and white cars could also get a tan colored interior along with the more common burgundy or grey.
depending on your location will be another factor here in NC you can find these cars, not dirt cheap but not over the top for the most part.
ive saw a couple 85s close by in excellent shape very reasonable with the color combo you desire. they are around but just gotta pick and choose.

As for #3 hunting a black aerocoupe with black interior, that will be like finding chickens teeth. A black SS aero or notch back which would have to be a 87 aerocoupe, ( all 200 of the 86 aeros are white) would either be burgundy, tan, or grey interior. Black interior wasn't a factory option. unless its been changed,by prior ownership it wasn't available.

I had a Silver Aero Coupe in my sights one time and almost bought it for my son and the guy ended up selling it out from under me. This is great info for sure. I have seen several of the white Aero's but never looked any further because I wanted a Black one. A friend of mine found a Black one out east once and it was on Craiglist I think the listing said Black Black & Black but it was a mess in the photo listing. I find that some of the folks that put stuff up for sale if they would clean it up they could justify the price they are asking.
thanks for the great info.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:21 AM

Good news. I found one a few days ago and just picked it up yesterday. It seems to be in great shape with the only glaring issue being a small tear under my butt with some fading on the entire bench but other than that it looks good.

Name:  920DE175-598C-4265-A8AF-40061187E081_zpsagqvkn62.png
Views: 23
Size:  494.7 KB

Name:  E3E1E903-090D-4CF9-A141-8FE36C99D15F_zpscuux5rrl.png
Views: 23
Size:  533.5 KB

Name:  5E8EB414-2453-4F93-BC6A-9E30EB7D3C1B_zpsr0iyh9xl.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  119.4 KB

I've been in my house for over 9 years and this was the first time I ever parked a car in my garage. :-)

Old 02-26-2017, 01:50 PM

Nice looking ride. Hope it brings you many years of enjoyment.

James

Old 03-04-2017, 08:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Glad you found it! Looks like a great car. Enjoy it.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Cool Wow how lucky can you get!!

Wow how lucky can you get!!
Looks like a nice one for sure.

Keep the MCF updated so we can follow along.
Put your photo's in the Garage here too.