General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Do you know "Ebony"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 06:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Do you know "Ebony"?

During this cold weather I've been choosing parts for the restoration of my current project car "Black Knight II", a black 2000 SS. One of the things I'll be doing is replacing the worn/discolored factory carpet. The factory interior is what is usually referred to as "black" with leather seats, but something I've noticed in my other 2000 SS DD, "Lady Jasper" (Pics in Garage) with factory "Jasper Green" paint is that the "Ebony" factory interior takes on a "Green" hue in bright light. I always thought it was because of the exterior color somehow reflecting on the interior, but after I ordered carpet samples of Black, Charcoal and Ebony and comparing them side by side, sure enough it's slightly green in bright light. After a little research on other forums I confirmed this is true in Corvettes and Camaro's too. Look hard and you will see the seats, carpet, dash and door panels all have a green tint in bright light. Just a little known fact I thought I'd pass along.
Attached sample photos are Charcoal, Ebony, and Black from left to right. The color doesn't come through true in the photo, but you might get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails Do you know "Ebony"?-carpet-samples.-charcoal-ebony-black.jpg  

Last edited by plumbob; 01-16-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

I have seen that in the Salvage yard visits that I have made. But the Equinox I have has a slight Sage color to it on the Carpet. Interesting I plan to do the rugs in my Monte this spring too.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is an interesting discovery. Who would have ever thought of Ebony having green hues to it. I believe by squinting some and looking at your photo's the green tone does manifest itself enough to be seen. Weird trick of the light. So what color will you then be opting to use in your Black Knight project?

How many Monte Carlos are you sitting on, a half a dozen?

Old 01-17-2017, 10:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
That is an interesting discovery. Who would have ever thought of Ebony having green hues to it. I believe by squinting some and looking at your photo's the green tone does manifest itself enough to be seen. Weird trick of the light. So what color will you then be opting to use in your Black Knight project?

How many Monte Carlos are you sitting on, a half a dozen?
Gonna' stick with Ebony. I think it will resist fade and camouflage dirt better.
Black would look good, but "black shows everything".

Right now I just have 2. That's all the room my driveway has...lol. I've had 4 gen. 6's. Bought "Lady Jasper" (the Matriarch) new, she's a keeper. Have had a '76 Landau, a 2001, 2003 and the current project 2000 SS since. Always good to have a spare Monte, comes in handy for reference...lol.
Sold "Black Knight I" last fall after I felt the restoration was complete. Missed working on it so I bought "Black Knight II" for $800. A 2000 SS with 134K, needed a new EVAP canister, heater core, suspension and brakes, then went through the 100,000 maintenance list and replaced the radiator. The mechanical stuff is done. Come Spring I'll be doing the paint restoration, carpet and trunk liner. Should look just like "Black Knight I" when finished.