General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

- Do you `Think ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default - Do you `Think ?

[align=center]Do you think a factory stock, newMonte Carlo[/align][align=center](yours), properly broke in could go 500 miles full speed[/align][align=center]at Daytona InterNational Speedway ?[/align][align=center](stops only for fuel/oil check : )[/align][align=center]Would the OEM tires take the heat ?[/align][align=center]The Cooling System ?[/align][align=center]The Transmission ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Please post what you think ?[/align][align=center]The Bum's & I listened to the Qualifying, & one of the[/align][align=center]Bum's, ask the above questions....I didn't know the answer,[/align][align=center]Do you ?[/align][align=center]Oh, Front Row 500: Jimmy Johnson -Chevy-& Michael Waltrip-Toy-[/align][align=center]Please post your thoughts, Thanks[/align][align=center][sm=gears.gif][sm=feedback.gif][sm=gears.gif][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Yes it can, yes it can [/align]

Old 02-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Default RE: - Do you `Think ?

I dont think it would last. THe tires and the camber, and all the heat will eat the tires in an hours. Plus could you take the forces?

Old 02-10-2008, 04:32 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think mine would on new tires... but it would probably be a fried piece of crap by the time it was all over. Not on OEM tires by any means... and I wudln't want to test my theory. Around 110-120 or so I'm sure it wuld make it. Wide open all the way aroudn.. I'm not so sure with all the weight on hte front end that the car wouldn't take a looop in one of the turns after the tires get worn.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:39 PM

I doubt that anyone with a Monte that hasn't been prepared to undergo the rigors of a flat-out 500 miles would make it. Not flat-out! But, I'll bet there are a few people who could manage to get their cars the 500 miles under controlled conditions.
Running flat-out with factory parts for a few hours on-end would be asking for trouble; I suspect.
The transmission cooling lines and cooler just isn't engineered for a few hours of pedal to the metal running without the tranny overheating and bringing the car into the pits.
That's why there's nothing Stock about Stock-Car Racing.
They run with everything engineered to go flat-out without breaking-down and some still do!

I'll bet it they did a Show like Monster Garage and gave us the workshop, every single tool, boxes of brand new whatever-we-wants and a week or two prepare a car just-right for the experiment ... there's the talent, in here, to make a Monte go 500 miles and make it.

On second thought ... we'd need three weeks!
We'd spent the first week, alone, arguing about who gets to drive it!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:44 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

argument over: i'm driving

Old 02-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

[sm=signs006.gif]I am

Old 02-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I don't think my Monte would go 500 miles flat out completely stock. They're just not engineered for that.

I'm all for the Monster Garage idea. Or should I say...

I'm driving by the way.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2963/8445A8B09FD64A78974EED076E595122.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not a chance! They're just too complicated now days to do that. Something minor would fail, and the whole thing would go shabang!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 AM

[align=center]Thanks to all that contributed to this topic question.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I shall rephrase my question.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Could a factory stock Monte Carlo go[/align][align=center]100 MPH on a clear straight interstate for one hour ?[/align][align=center][sm=gears.gif][/align][align=center]Pit Stops[/align][align=center]( for gas/fluids/tire checks,etc)[/align][align=center]Doitagain 4 more times for a total of 5 hours = 500 miles.[/align][align=center][sm=feedback.gif][/align][align=center]I thinka Monte Carlocould do this.....do you ?[/align][align=center]Endurance/Testing/Racing
[IMG]local://upfiles/714/B978DC63129B4D1FB94E4BF98B62C492.gif[/IMG] [/align]

Old 02-11-2008, 01:22 PM

All tuned-up with good tires and no issues preventing the Engine and Trans from breaking down on you and I believe you could go 100 Mph all day long. That's about what you'd expect to be doing in the right hand lane of the German Autobahn. Moving fast. Not over taxing the driveline in a severe way. Just motoring along like late for a wedding. I do believe that a Bone Stock "Anything" V-6 or V-8 would have no trouble at all.

I've had my wife's Honda Civic up to 100 Mph a couple of times and there was still plenty of room on the tach at that speed. With the additional power of a V-6 doing the work, you could get 500 Miles clocked without raising a sweat.

I'd bet on the Monte making 500 Miles at 100 Mph
Doing an additional 20 Mph over 80 isn't that hard on a car.
And, if you were to stand at the side of 95 Northbound out of Massachusetts heading into Maine, with a Radar or a Laser Clocking device ... you'd catch traffic "Cruising North" at speeds of 80 Mph and above.

I'd say it wouldn't bother the car one bit to go 100 Mph ... stop for gas and nature's call ... and get right back out-in-it would be no challenge for somebody's tightened-up Monte!

Quick Reply: - Do you `Think ?