General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

A Demand for Monte Carlo's

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A Demand for Monte Carlo's

Some of you may know that finding parts for older Monte Carlos is almost impossible. I have spoken with Goodmark and YearOne along with a few other businesses about getting parts for Monte Carlo's. Every place I've called upon said they dont have no parts because there is not much of a demand for them.
Come on already! Nobody needs a hood, fenders, door skins, or the rear 1/4 panels. Bull crap!
That makes me wonder? How many old Monte's are bondo buggies? However, thats not the point of this thread.

If more people start asking for the parts that meens only one thing, there is a demand. I have noticed that Monte's have been getting some fame from Super Chevy magazine. It seems they like first gens best, and I hope to see a nice 3rd gen in there someday.

All together now, lets demand the parts. Sure you might drive a nice new Monte rite now but who knows, in ten years you might find yourself trying to rebuild an old Monte that no body makes replacement parts for. Sure, its fun making patch panels but when 65% of the sheet metal on your car needs replaced it would be nice to call and get some panels coming.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:16 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Come on already! Nobody needs a hood, fenders, door skins, or the rear 1/4 panels. Bull crap!
That makes me wonder? How many old Monte's are bondo buggies? However, thats not the point of this thread.
If not for a good friend finding a rust free '81-88 Monte at his favorite salvage yard, I'd be screwed for the repair panels needed for my '86 LS Monte.

Both sides, at both front & rear of the rear wheel well need replaced. No thanks in part to the previous owner who abused the poor car.

My friend took his battery operated sawzall and cut roughly 12 inches up from the bottom on all four panels. I don't need that much of a repair panel but it's nice to have it if I did need it.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:58 PM

I just replaced the steering Column in my Black '78 third generation Monte and boy it was a Pain to find one of those. I searched the Internet up and down, everywhere I could think of and wound up finding a Junked 3rd Generation Monte at a Junk Yard about 30 Miles away and using the best Column parts of Both mine and the Junked one I rebuilt it. It's not fun looking for Parts that's for sure, it's feels good driving "Carly" and I hope I never have to go through something like that ever again.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Try finding panels for a 73 to 77 chevelle/Malibu..I guess they think not enough demand...who knows.. I hadda 64 galaxie fastback, called a guy on the phone who specailized in nuthing but..almost laughed me off the phone when i asked about full body rear panels...But now my 78 cheby truck i can get any body panel/fender you desire...

Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 AM
10 Year Member

Atleast I know Im not alone here. Seems like you got lucky RJ. Ive already replaced all the sheet metal along the bottom of the whole body. I still gotta replace the bottoms of the doors. kinda holdin off on the doors with hopes to find a better set.
Brett, I know what you meen about them chevy trucks. Ive rebuilt a 69 chevy and a 87 chevy. I replaced the floors in both trucks with parts I found online. I did try finding rear 1/4s for my 77 nova. I searched for about a year then just parted out the car after no luck.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 AM

Actually someone is reproducing rear quarters. I don't know how well they are made and reliability of them but they are out there. If you look for fender courners as well someboday makes them as well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Monte...Q5fAccessories

Old 12-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I realize this is not quite the same thing. But even the newer Montes are starting to feel the pain of not having any replacement parts. The nascar edition 6th gens are now feeling the pain when it comes to replacement decals and other "driver" items.

GM only had a certain number of the factory decals and driver edition equipment made up. When they sell out, that's it. You're S.O.L. For example, most of the decals and interior pieces for the driver editions that contain a driver's signature are now "NLA" (no longer available).

Of course that's no where near the problem gen 1 to 4 owners have. The lack of a decal isn't even a problem. The car is still drive-able. Not having fenders or a hood is a problem. And you're right. Eventually the 95-07 Montes will have the same problem. The Monte community needs to start demanding replacement parts be available.

The lack of replacement parts is the reason millions of Montes get cannibalized for their parts. If there were aftermarket replacement parts available for our Montes, there could be a lot more classic Montes on the road. The claim that there's no demand for parts is crap.

Think about it people. The Monte has been a hugely popular car. Look how many Montes have been used for racing. Drag strip, oval track, etc. Especially 4th gens. Why should Camaros and Chevelles be able to get parts, and not the Montes. Plus all the Monte owners looking to restore their Montes.

I remember a few people coming here looking for replacement chrome pieces for their older Montes. Only to find out that half the 4th gen owners here had the same problem.

I agree with you guys. The Monte community needs to get together and demand parts be available.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member

Ive had six 3rd gen Monte's since Ive started this build in 07. They all donated something to my project Monte or my drag Monte. If they all had titles and would have been complete I would be rebuilding them all. I plan to keep buying every Monte I find untill I find some good doors. However, If I find a Monte with good doors and a title Ill probly have another build on my hands

Old 12-07-2010, 11:13 AM

i dont know how i feel about those panels posted in that link up there, but they are better looking than 90% of the quarters ive seen on 3rd gen montes at least out here in jersey. 4th gen cars have it probably the easiest since you can pretty much buy every body panel new in steel from a respected seller. 3rd gen stuff is nearly impossible. theres only a couple people making body panels and theyre fiberglass.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:36 AM
10 Year Member

JCWhittney sells lower door skins for the 3rd gen but they dont know much about them. When I asked how thick the metal was they said it was a 1/4 inch thick. lol yeah rite. When I asked to speak to a person with a brain they hung up on me and after my forth call a smart person finally answered and told me the sheet metal is 20 gauge. That person also told me it takes about 2 weeks to make them and another 6-8 weeks to ship. I can make my own in that amount of time.

Quick Reply: A Demand for Monte Carlo's