General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Degree of Difficulty Installing Switch???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Degree of Difficulty Installing Switch???

I got a Multi-function Stalk from a bone-yard. $50.00 instead of the nearly 5-Bills the Dealer wanted for a new one. What's the degree of difficulty getting down to the point where the switch is exposed for coming-off that Steering Column. My wrenching ability is advanced and I own a complete (well, pretty complete) set of tools.

I'm sweating having to deal with the Airbag. I haven't got any Airbag removal experience. Limited experience on Steering Column work. But, I'm a gamer! And, If I can save a few bills doing this switch, myself ... I'm going for it!

Rick Massey

Old 01-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Default RE: Degree of Difficulty Installing Switch???

I've never heard of a Multi function Stalk. If you can show me a picture of it or describe it better I can check my Helm manual and get you some information.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member

The "Multi-function Stalk" (Switch) is the combination Hi-Lo, Wipers and Turn Signal Lever that's on the Left Side of my 04 Monte Steering Column. The 04 LS has the Cruise Control ON~OFF, + Set, Acell, Coast and Resume functions on the Steering Wheel.

I have to pull and replace the "Stalk" I have the part in-hand. I just need to get the Steering Wheel and Steering Column Cover off to gain access to the Switch fasteners and the wiring harness connections.

That my Steering Wheel has the Curise functions and AIRBAG onn it has me spooked a little bit about getting into it. I went and gaot a HAYNES Manual and read the Chapter. It seems straight-forward enough, but I want to hear from someone who has "Been there; Done that" about anything that might cause a problem before hand. I guess disabling the Bag and disconnecting the Battery is paramount.

I guess I'm just anxious about getting into the electrical maze in the Steering Column. I need some good weather to allow me to get in there. I don't have a heated garage with enough space to get the Monte in and do the job which is probably going to be a several hours adventure.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:41 PM

disconnect the neg. batt. cable first.
remove the close out panel on the bottom of the dash, over the pedals. disconnect the bright yellow 2 wire connector, i think its fairly close to the dlc.
twist a large screwdriver behind the tilt lever to pop it out.
in addition to torx bits you may need inverted torx, or E bits, i put one ina century last week that had an E4 or E5 holding the upper column cover on, on the right side near the steering wheel, but a century be different from the monte.

this isnt very thurough, but hopefully gets you over the humps.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member

I got a handle on it now, after reading the Section in Haynes. The Neg Batt Terminal and the Fuse for the Airbag System disables the bags. Then it a shopping list of things to undo, remove and unhook before taking the bolts that hold that Lever on to the side of the Column. I don't expect to get after it right away, but I do have a good picture in my head of what is entailed now.

The bright side is that I found a good "Used" switch out of an 04 Monte for 50-Bucks plus gas to go pick it up at the Salvage Yard. The Dealer quoted me near 5-Hundred Dollars for a Brand New one. That would have been a real kick in the wallet.

I need to take a break anyway. All I been doing is catching-up on the scheduled maintenance, finding a good deal of neglect on the part of the PO. At least they were good about keepin it Oiled and Filtered.

Once there's another January thaw and I can do some work outside ... I'll tackle that switch and be done with it!

Old 01-11-2008, 05:29 PM

Don't be intimidated by the wiring in the steering wheel. It isn't that bad at all.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member

After looking at the "New ~Used" Switch ... It does appear that everything is going to be a Unplug and Remove ... then, ... install and Plug-in affair. My only worry is dealing with the wires to the Steering Wheel. The 04 has the Cruise Control Select Switches AND a Huge Airbag.

HAYNES says to disable all the Front Bags by removing the NEG Batt cable and pulling the SRS Fuse before getting in there and undoing the YELLOW connectors for BOTH the Front end Bags. Will do.

There is also one little Dog or something that has to be aligned in a receiving slot before buttoning-up the fasteners that hold the Switch to the Column. Looks easy enough!
Probably going to be easier than doing the firewall side Plugs. At least everything will be in the wide-open for a change. I have to get it done, though, because now the Switch is hanging-up between High and Low sometimes and leaving me with NO Lights at all ... until I fiddle with the Switch long enough to get it to switch from one level to the next.