General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Darn KR

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
Default Darn KR

Unbeleivable. I just installed my new front motor mounts and my Custom PCM, and I'm STILL getting massive KR!!!!

3.4 pulley - supporting mods= CAI, 104 Autolite plugs, Rockers, Headers, 3" downpipe, High Flow Cat, U-Bend Delete, and Catback exhaust.

After all that I just pulled: 7.51* of KR at a boost of 10.86. I was at 86 MPH @ 5300 RPM. I have low KR all over the board though and averaging 0.64 which just isn't good at all.

I've had this same KR before the Headers, Rockers and PCM and just can't seem to get rid of it. The only bonus is the car is a hell of a lot quicker getting there.

Looks like I'm just going to have to eat it and get an Intercooler. =<

Oh well, I know I will be running safely then. =D

Old 06-12-2007, 02:55 AM
Default RE: Darn KR

Checked your spark plugs?

Old 06-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

whats a safe amount of kr??

i was told you dont need an intercooler until you go to a 3.2 or 2.8" pulley

everybody says mods for 3.4 are

cold air intake
downpipe
high flow cat
ubend delete
no resonator
colder plugs
colder t-stat

i didn't think you needed anything else other than these...maybe the pulley just doesn't like your car lol

Old 06-12-2007, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: cain45

Checked your spark plugs?
I checked just a few weeks ago when I put the headers on and they're still in good condition.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: wiz kidd

whats a safe amount of kr??

i was told you dont need an intercooler until you go to a 3.2 or 2.8" pulley

everybody says mods for 3.4 are

cold air intake
downpipe
high flow cat
ubend delete
no resonator
colder plugs
colder t-stat

i didn't think you needed anything else other than these...maybe the pulley just doesn't like your car lol
What you listed is usually the correct shopping list, but not on everyones car. That's when I did that write up on the Safe Way to Upgrade Your Monte Carlo, I always used the word "should" but you never know unless you scan.

Just doing research, alot of this can be attributed to a possible bad head gasket. The gasket is made of a thin metal and sometimes the ring is a little offsize and sneaks in the cylinder chamber. So you end up with a white hot piece of metal that causes KR.

That is one of the biggest factors on how difficult these cars are to mod sometimes. If you get one on the flip side were it setup perfectly, there are reports of dropping a 3.4 pulley on with NO mods and NO KR!! So I'm also considering a Head Job later this year or next. Always nice to get a little head job is my motto.

Anyway regarding safe KR, it depends who you ask. It seems the overall agreement is once you cross 5* you're asking for problems. Now technically if done slowly it isn't a damaging deal, all that happens is the PCM retards spark 5* to compensate and you're in the clear again. The problem is this looses HP and that's what I don't want. This is about 1-3 HP per degree so I'm loosing between 7 and 21 HP. =<

If the KR jumps too quickly (before the PCM can compensate), that's when you run into chipped pistons and blown engines. Hence the reason it's worrysome at my level but not as disasterous as someone running a 2.8" pulley. At that level, you don't want to even have 2* or you're going to have problems.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:34 PM

I got to see first hand what happens when you dont care about KR a guy that crusies whith us on friday nights got a brand new 06 mustand V6 auto and then put a i think vortec SC on and didnt have anything elese and was at 9 KR one night and every one was telling him not to drive but he did and then i got to see the supercharger go half way through his hood when he gunned it. i felt bad for maybe 2 seconds then i just started laughing and said thats what you get for owning a ford

Old 06-12-2007, 02:28 PM

intimidator.... do you have a tuner? if so, i can help you tune it. i have tuned my friends 02 gtp he started off with a ZZP pcm and had about the same KR as you do now. i got it all removed with just tuning.

its very likely an IC will help to remove the KR issue, but with proper tuning we can save you the money of an intercooler. $400 for a tuner vs 800-1000 for an IC... make your choice lol.

yeah but if you want help with it im willing to help. i have helped friends tune cars via email! lol with your car so modified im suprised if you didnt have a tuner yet.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member

No, don't have the tuner, just bought the PCM from 3800 performance on 5/23/07. After waiting 2 weeks and still not recieved, he told me he sends them out to be programmed. I then was thinking going Gen V so I emailed him Friday to cancel the PCM as I was just going to buy the DHP Programmer, but he shipped it already. Received it last night and installed. Unfortuneately that didn't fix the problem.

Now it looks like I'll have to get the programmer anyway. I might end up getting the Intercooler in the end as I want to still either go GenV or Whipple but we will see what happens. Just saving for the programmer now.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member

UPDATE

Original scan was 7.4* KR at 86 MPH, 5300 RPM, 9.4 Boost.

After putting 15 gallons worth of 104 octane boost in the 13 or so gallons in and driving for a day to mix it up, I pulled 6.9* at 87 MPH, 5300 RPM, 9.26 Boost

Highest boost was 10.86 a second or so later @94.5 MPH, 5700 RPM with 4.66* KR.

Engine Coolant was at 186* and topped out at 194 with a 180 T-Stat.

So with running the Octane Boost to 104 from my standard 93 Octane, I lowered KR by -0.5* and the situation is pretty close MPH and RPM wise, just -.15 less boost from yesterday.

Does this sound right or false KR?

I'm actually thinking it maybe false but I don't know how well Octane Boost works and we don't have any race gas near us to verify. =< I would think that 104 Octane would drop that sucker down to 2 or so overall.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member

Ok, the 104 Octane booster isn't worth anything. Simply didn't work. Dropped in 10 Gallons of 110 Octane race fuel ( at 5.80/gallon Grr) and the KR disappeared completely.

So I know it is all real knock, (Damn) and the closest place to get 110 Octane is 52 miles away. I get 30 MPG to get it and to fill up costs about $82 every week. I am so keeping my foot off the gas - it only happens at WOT - and getting a good programmer and possibly intercooler ASAP!!

Quick Reply: Darn KR