General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Custom Wheels: What you need to know ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Custom Wheels: What you need to know ?

Hi Member's,
Found the below article on the Web & it has some useful information & facts...EnJoy

Custom Wheels, What you need to know ?

It seems like just about every car on the road today has a set of aftermarket wheels. Some look fantastic, while others are just nightmares. A good set of wheels can change the look and feel of your ride, increase performance and enhance it’s value, but this is if, and only if they are chosen correctly. Over the years wheel and sizes have increase dramatically. For instance, back in the 1960′s most cars came stock with 14-inch wheels and hubcaps, the 70′s went to larger 15-inch wheels and then in the 1980′s we saw the emergence of 16-incher’s. It wasn’t until the 1990′s though when the aftermarket wheel scene really took off. All of a sudden we had 17, 18 and 19-inch wheels and then in the first part of the new millennium we saw the introduction of the DUB or 20-inch wheel. I remember when I first saw a 20-inch wheel on a car and was like, what the heck was that! Back then it wasn’t all that common, but today they’re all over the place. For those who are uneducated in the process, there are few elements when buying wheels that you really need to look at. First you need to define the application for which the wheels are going to be used, second is to determine your fitment parameters and lastly you need to pick out a style that suits your ride.

• STEP 1: Define the Application

Be honest and ask yourself what you’re going to use these new wheels for. For example if you have a car that sees duty as a weekend track toy you may want to stay with original OEM sizes, but perhaps go with a lighter wheel to cut down on rotating mass. If it’s a show car and weight really isn’t a concern, then your biggest issue is style. If however the wheels are for a daily driver, then you want to find a good aftermarket wheel manufacturer that produces a quality forged wheel that can stand up to the rigors of everyday driving.
• STEP 2: Fitment Parameters

Rims don’t mean a damn thing if they don’t fit on your car. Some people assume that all rims will fit on all rides but sadly, this is not the case. For example the odds of a 20-inch wheel fitting neatly on a Honda Civic is slim to none. Can you make it fit? Possibly, but not without modifying just about everything under the wheel well. Keep in mind also that manufacturers spend millions, upon millions of dollars on R & D to make sure that a certain size works perfectly on that vehicle. So, while you think you may be smarter then the manufacturers, odds are you’re not. Also remember that when you’re looking at fitment you also want to consider the wheels overall mass. I always laugh when I see SUV’s rolling on 26′s and then behind the wheel are these little itty-bitty stock brakes. If you’re going to go for a big and tire combo just remember that you’re adding A LOT of rotating mass to the car. That means you’re automatically screwing with the vehicles alignment, handling characteristics, braking, acceleration and calibration of the speedometer, so you best consult a professional before simply slapping wheels on your car.
1. Things to Remember.
– Will it fit in the wheel-well
– What is the correct backspacing (everyone messes this up)
– What is the OEM correct bolt pattern
– Is there a good selection of tires available
– Do the wheels rub anything at full lock
• STEP 3: Style

Remember when people went out and put “Spinners” on their cars. Quite honestly it was one of the dumbest automotive trends that I’ve ever seen and I thank God everyday that it’s dead. The style of the wheel you choose can either make or break your car. Today there are rims out there in just about every style imaginable from a host of different manufacturers. Keep in mind though that the rims you put on your car are a reflection of your taste, so be careful when choosing. Understand also that if you don’t want to purchase an off-the-shelf product that you can have a one-off custom set of wheels crafted. I had this done for my Daytona by a company called Proformance Industries in New Rochelle, NY. Not only did they make me exactly what I wanted, but in the end I got something that was 100% unique, while at the same time getting the professional guidance I needed to help me make the right decision.

Obviously at days end the wheels you put on your car are entirely up to you. Just remember that before you purchase anything to do your research as it will make the entire process of fitting new shoes to your ride that much more enjoyable.

Last edited by Space; 01-10-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:16 AM

Click above pic
Check out our Sponsor TireRack to get information on wheels/tires/etc...
It's wise to do you homework & shop & compare...
Our Sponsor has some great rims/tires & prices...Thanks
Are you happy with your tires ? Rim's ?
Post your experiences on changing your OEM rim's to custom ?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 AM

Below are some links with good information to check `out

1. How To Choose Tires and Wheels - Edmunds.com

1. www.edmunds.com › Car MaintenanceHow ToCached

Plus sizing your wheels and tires is the best way to improve both the ... If a car has a 15-inch wheel, then upgrading to a 16-inch wheel would ...

Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

www.tirerack.com/Cached - Similar

Find tires, wheels and more at Tire Rack: large inventory of discount tires and wheels, plus tire reviews and ratings, custom wheels, brakes, chrome wheels, suv tires, car wheels and more. ... What is the Upgrade Garage? Shop by Vehicle ...

Your Guide to Upgrading Wheels & Tires - Popular Mechanics

www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/maintenance/4281033Cached - Similar

The most important pieces of real estate on your car are those four ... The manufacturers behind your vehicle, tires and wheels worked ... And our experience has proved that modesty is the best policy when it comes to wheels and tires bigger is ... There are two ways to increase the size of the tire's contact ...

2. WebCars! Tire/Wheel Compensation Calculator

www.web-cars.com/math/tiresize.htmlCached - Similar

Car enthusiasts seem to have one thing in common: they cannot leave things as ... Probably the most commonly upgraded item is the wheels and tires. ... The easiest way to change the overall gear ratio is to change the gears in the differential

Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 AM

thank you space for the write up and the information it is informative as well you put in hard work to post it.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Great thread Space

Guess im rollin on dubs

Ima keep the monte stock GM but i need to find a sweet set for the GTO

Old 01-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

A good set of wheels can change the look and feel of your ride, increase performance and enhance it’s value, but this is if, and only if they are chosen correctly.
i wonder if this guy was going for performance upgrade or just the enhanced value???

Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Im gonna say both

Old 01-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jester_20
i wouldnt mind taking her for a trip around the block. I dont want to own it, but for a spin, lets do it.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

Originally Posted by Snyderman
i wouldnt mind taking her for a trip around the block. I dont want to own it, but for a spin, lets do it.

sounds good. i'll go grab the ladder

Old 01-10-2012, 04:56 PM

So random ? if I just put in the type of car I have and then search size 17 inch rims on tire rack any kind will fit correctly? Right?

Quick Reply: Custom Wheels: What you need to know ?