General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Custom 2-tone Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:03 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Custom 2-tone Paint Job

This is what I would like to do to my MC. I've got the gray (not silver) and I want to do Black on top and across the trunk, Red body lines to match the "SS" monikers, and leave the bottom half stock color and maybe some other details.

What do you all think? I'm surprised I don't see more 2-tone paint schemes out there. I personally think this car was almost built to be 2-tone.

Attached Thumbnails Custom 2-tone Paint Job-2-tone.jpg  
Old 02-21-2014, 11:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

You must have read my mind!
I was seriously considering doing my 2 tone...

Since Mine is already Black, I always liked the AMC AMX color of tangy orange... and Thought to use that color on the bottom and leave it black on the top half!

I always did like the way the color looked.. Its almost as if it changes colors with the different highlights in the sun and shade!

Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015

I think it would look good but would you paint the bottom lip the same color as the grey.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've seen 2-toned Montes that way. They look good! It only gets a little awkward where the lines meet on the door.

We had a member named Nuffy who did a similar paint scheme:

The Dale Jr. Camaro also did something similar:

Old 02-21-2014, 11:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I think it looks pretty nice

Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I did two photochops a long while back:

Joe

Attached Thumbnails Custom 2-tone Paint Job-harley02.jpg   Custom 2-tone Paint Job-hdfrontfinal.jpg  
Old 02-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Nuffy's is where I got my inspiration, but it doesn't look like he accented his body lines with a 3rd color. I don't think it gets too awkward around the door so long as the lines meet at the same place along the edge of the door.

I don't have the performance skirt as shown in my drawing, but those were the best views. If I were to paint that lower lip, it would be black so that it would sandwich the gray. Maybe pinstripe it and add Monte Carlo text?

I also think I would repaint the "SS" moniker so that I don't have to match the faded, original red. A deep crimson red sounds nice.

Any body have any idea what a paint job like this might cost?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 PM

As a PPG certified painter, going with the best materials and doing a show car job, it would run about 9K, materials alone will be about 1,500-2,000 primer, sealer, two paint colors, clear coat, sand paper, paint reducers, gun cleaning solution, labor, etc......

Old 02-26-2014, 07:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Viperpit
As a PPG certified painter, going with the best materials and doing a show car job, it would run about 9K, materials alone will be about 1,500-2,000 primer, sealer, two paint colors, clear coat, sand paper, paint reducers, gun cleaning solution, labor, etc......
For only taping and sanding down half the car? I could see a reasonable quote being around $4000 if he doesn't feel like doing the 2-tone in the door jams.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
For only taping and sanding down half the car? I could see a reasonable quote being around $4000 if he doesn't feel like doing the 2-tone in the door jams.
Theres much more involved than just sanding it down. This is the misconception most people make about auot refinishing. If thats the type of work you want, then take it to a shabby shop. But don't complain when the cheap clear coat starts to cloud up and peel of the car in 2 or 3 years. And don't complain that all the minor door dings or scratches are not removed. And don't complain that you can see the tape lines around the windows. ETC.....

In the auto painting world you get what you pay for. My best advice is to use a shop that is highly recommended. VISIT the shop and see if its clean. Does it have a true down-draft baking spray booth? Are the employees certifed? Ask for a couple customers numbers and actually CALL THEM.

If the shop is filthy, your job will be the same way. in the shop world, a clean shop is a VERY good sign. You may pay more, but its VERY worth it.

This ONLY applies to autobody NOT mechanical shops

Quick Reply: Custom 2-tone Paint Job