General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Cluster Problems on my Monte.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Default Cluster Problems on my Monte.

So for about a month or so I’ve been having problems with my cluster on my 2004 Monte Carlo SS Dale Jr Edition. My speedometer stopped working and I’m having a hard time finding a replacement for it because it has the Dale Jr number 8 and signature on it. Has anyone else had any problems with their clusters in their Monte Carlos? At first what it started to do was, the needle would get stuck at certain spots on the speedometer and then often it would go all the way to 210km (keep in mind I live in Canada and its KM not Miles here, same difference) and now it went back to 0km and it pretty much is stuck for the most part and often moves a little once in a while but it’s very frustrating issue as I just reached 40,000km on the car, she’s still a baby. Anyone face similar problems or even know where I can find a 2004 Monte Carlo SS Dale Jr Edition cluster?

[IMG]local://upfiles/2432/A20B07E1513D456A8606439C8046E3C0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2432/3660E4CF411E45E489137BC9D5DB8C8C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Cluster Problems on my Monte.

I had the Temp guage go on my Dale Jr edition. About a month after the factory warranty expired. Thank goodness I got the extended warranty. The dealership told me that the entire guage cluster would have to be replaced (GM's policy). They also told me that since it's a Dale Jr edition, the guage cluster has to be ordered directly from GM in Oshawa. The Dale Jr guage cluster is a part that is exclusively available to real Dale Jr editions only. They had to provide GM with my VIN number before GM would even allow them to order it. My bad cluster had to be sent back for a core charge.

Unless you're lucky enough to find one from a wrecked Junior edition or online, you may have to bite the bullet and go to the dealership.

The guages in the 2000-2005 Montes tend to have that problem. Most commonly with the speedo. You're not alone in this problem.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:45 PM

Lucky for you, you purchased the extended warranty however I didn't. I went to a GM dealer this weekend and they said they have to take off the whole dash board to see the part number of the cluster because the info they get from my VIN is just the standard Monte Carlo SS cluster and they want me to leave the car there for a day just for that. Now, you think if I were to call GM in Oshawa, they would be able to help me out and maybe even order one? Or did you just go to a dealer and they did everything for you? I went to a GM dealer in Brampton and they were pretty much useless.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

I just foundthe Invoice from when I got mine replaced. I'll PM ya.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:21 AM

Thanks pal, I really appreciate your help fellow Ontarioian. lol

Old 11-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

PM sent.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I had the gas gauge do loop-de-loops on me. They replaced it under the extended warranty, also.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

That sounds like it would be cool to watch happen. Unfortunately, you'd never be able to trust the readout again. My Temp guage went all the way up and continued. Stopped around the 6:00 position. After turning the ignition off and on about a dozon times, it returned to what appeared to be normal. But I couldn't trust it anymore. Besides, I remembered reading on here that the guages are a common problem and is covered by warranty. Really glad I had the extended warranty. A very expensive lesson I learned from owning my 99 Pontiac Grand Scam.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:07 AM

Well I put it this way, the extended warranty was like $2500 or something like that. If this is the only problem that I have in the next 3 years then I've only spent about $600 for the cluster. So I would have saved a little money, however if I have more problems then I'm ****ed and will be very pissed! lol

Old 11-14-2008, 05:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You can always search for a used cluster from any supercharged 04-05 Monte, and swap it out. Just change the speedo overlay, and have the dealer change the cluster. They hook it to a computer to download the milage, swap the cluster, and reload the milage. Simple procedure.
Not sure of the price of a new cluster, but I'm sure it's still available from the dealer. If youre on good terms with your parts department, get the list price from them and make them a fair offer. A sale on a special order item at a discount for a profit is better than no sale at all! If you can't get a price from them, have your service manager get it for you. I NEVER pay list on special ordered items. Usually about 25% off. ALWAYS!

Quick Reply: Cluster Problems on my Monte.