General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Cigarette lighter power question

Old 12-30-2015, 01:53 PM
1 Year Member
Unhappy Cigarette lighter power question

Hello! I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, but I didn't see anything specifically for this.

I got a dashcam for christmas, and it plugs into a cigarette lighter. I know I have 1 under the radio and 1 behind the center console, but do any of these turn off with the engine? Is there a way to make one or both turn off with the engine? Thank you all for your time!

Old 12-30-2015, 02:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I know for certain the rear one stays on all the time, as the green light on my cell phone charger is always on when it is plugged in regardless of the car being turned on. I can't comment on the front one, as the fuse blew shortly after I got the car and I haven't bothered to change it lol, but I would guess the same situation as the rear

Old 01-01-2016, 12:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the front one also stays on all the time, my phone charger is always lit blue tho, the thing that always made me wonder is this dont kill the battery?

Old 01-03-2016, 05:47 PM

There is a plug taped to the wiring harness just behind the glove box. It is near the right kick panel. There are (I believe) 6 positions. One is keyed power and one is ground. I have a 3 position accessory socket wire to mine. It shuts off with the key, not delayed like the rest of the electronics.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

They are both 12v with constant power. I would recommend a hardwire into a fuse that shuts off with the car.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:07 AM

I ran my wiring for my dash cam to the rear power outlet, and I unplug it and plug it in as I use the car. It's annoying, but it's cold out and I don't really want to do anything about it lol. But yes, as stated above both front and rear have constant power and you'll need to manually turn your gps, dash cam, etc on and off (unless you mod the car otherwise).

Search this Thread