General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

on the car and motor that i have 87 monte ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Default on the car and motor that i have 87 monte ?

i have a 87 ls monte carlo not the ss...5.0l vin "h".i was wondering wat was the hp torq onthe motor and whatmodification should i do to it..i was looking at super chips headers a 650 or 700 cfm carb...all would be welcome thank you..angelo

Old 01-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Default RE: on the car and motor that i have 87 monte ?

a 650 cfm carb should be good for that motor thats the (lg4)and not the (l69)but you can wake them up with a good set of headers dual exhaust and put a aluminum intake if you can a camshaft and maybe roller tip rockers and upgrade the ignition system it wont net you big gains but it will help if you want bigger gains you will need to up the compression and do some head work or even go with aftermarket heads

Old 01-15-2007, 09:43 PM

i forgot to add that i have my motor rebuilt.im at about 5000 miles now.all that sounds good but i have to smog it every year and i want to buy sumthing where i can put it on and off for smog purposes also...i want more hp just have to think about the smog and work to get it.so a carb i can take on and off same with the chip...headers would be exstensive work wouldnt it?

Old 01-16-2007, 05:08 AM

you can get the aluminium intakes with the enviromental control hook ups on them.
jus tmake sure tha tyou watch this when you order them they do have them.
As far as what you can do for the car? make it look better then the SS model of that same year.
nothign makes them madded then to see a LS come up next to them that looks nicer and is faster.
lol

Old 01-16-2007, 09:24 AM

well if smog is a problem thats no problem edelbrock makes a nice set of headers and y-pipe for the ss and it works good then get a high flow cat and a good cat back and you can also get a smog legal intake from edelbrock and a compu-cam from crane as far as the carb just get the q-jet rebuilt

Old 01-16-2007, 10:25 AM

you can even get the edlebrock carb to match the intake and it will be leagel for ya also.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:10 PM

not on the monte i dont think cause they need the electrical connections i know that holley use to make one the part nomber is 80073 but i dont know if its discontinued or not but The Stock Q-jet is 100% perfect in rebuilt trim for any street build-up on stock engines of up to 454cid!!! Do NOT let someone try to convince you that your carb is junk, for it is a cheap and reliable carb. If you have an 1987-88 SS then you require a different electronic carbwhich severely limits your selection. The Edlebrock/Carter Units are NOT certified Emissions Legal on the Monte Carlo SS, Getting a quality performance rebuild on your stock carb is probably your best bet but i would look in to the holley if i was you

Old 01-16-2007, 01:06 PM

the Edelbrock carbs are the same as the q-jet. why it would not be smog legal on the monte but will be on other cars is beyond me.
As far as the electrical connections ON he carbs that is for a electric choke. they wire the same on the Edelbrock as the stock units to the best of my knowledge. I have put them on several monte Carlos in the time i have owned them. as a street carb they are great if the stock one is not a reliable carb or not rebuilds.

Agreed the Q-jest can be a very good carb i cant say it is junk i have seen folks that know how to make them do better even at tracks then the Holley's and the Caters style Edelbrock.
but if he should chose to want a after market carb then they make one for the monte carlo and it will work for his needs.
If you don't like the Edelbrock then go Holley they have a whole set up that you can get as a kit for the car with the intake carb etc.... and you can add more to it or take away stuff from the kit to suite your needs .

but you have me puzzled on why it is not legal on the monte but would be on other 350/350 combos.
the computers in this year are not controlling to much of the emissions at this point they are still running on the assumption that you know how to tune your car more then air cleaners and spark plugs. or that your mechanic dose at least.

Also if your car is out of tune you will fail a smog test. it don't take to much to have the carb to Rich to cause it to fail.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:38 PM

yeah i know i am not talking about the choke hookup theres two electrical conections for theecu on there i think that 1 is for your air/fuel mix and the other 1 i am not sure the carbs on the monte are called ccc q-jets kinda complicated thats why i got rid of mine i dont have to worry about smog always makes things eazyer

Old 01-16-2007, 06:04 PM

i dont know how to put up pics so heres asite link with the pic of the carb http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?p=485489

Quick Reply: on the car and motor that i have 87 monte ?