General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Car and Driver magazine talks smack about 6th-gen Monte styling

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 96z34man
I'm "hung up on the word maintenance" because I speak English. If you replace a starter, you're not "maintaining" it, you're REPLACING it. Repairs and maintenance are not the same thing. The idea is to spend more on the latter so you spend less of the former. (Also, there is no preventative maintenance that can be done on a starter.)
Ill admit that I'm no English expert. I'm a mechanical engineer and I only took the bare minimum English courses to get my degree (2 courses total).

​​​​Im not sure that your interpretation is as clear cut as you try and make it sound though. Below is the Merriam Webster definition of maintain:

"to keep in an existing state (as of repair, efficiency, or validity) : preserve from failure or decline maintain machinery"

I would say the city is maintaining a road by filling a pothole - a place where the road has broken. If a machine breaks on my production floor, I call the maintenance department.

Regardless of the silly argument, I'll try and make my statement ad clear as possible: something is wrong with your car.

If you think I should REPAIR the LS4 by replacing some of the stuff you list above, say that.
I don't think you should do anything with your car, it's not mine. Fix it or dont and just keep complaining, I don't care. What I do care about is all the crap you talk about the powertrain being gutless and not moving when in reverse without also noting that your car has a problem. I don't want people to think that the issues you've got are problems with these cars overall as they're not.

Don't insult my intelligence by telling me to take it to a shop. It's been. A shop has nothing to gain by hiding issues from me.
​​​​​My point in suggesting a shop is this has obviously been an ongoing issue that you haven't been able to correct (repair). It seems common sense to me that if it makes less torque than your l67, that it's down a lot of power and should be fixed if you care about keeping the car running right.

A shop has nothing to gain by hiding issues, but the shop may not be competent enough to find the problem either. Obviously you've fixed everything you thought was broken and the car still doesn't run right (or you wouldn't have the issues you keep complaining about), so someone should probably diagnose what else may be wrong.

You may not want newbies to fear the LS4. Having had a bad experience that no one can diagnose, I do. I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.
If you said it that way, perhaps I wouldn't have been as concerned. It's totally fair to let everyone know about the problems your car has had. It's something different altogether to talk about how gutless it is and that it doesn't even have enough power to move when the car is put in gear.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Ill admit that I'm no English expert. I'm a mechanical engineer and I only took the bare minimum English courses to get my degree (2 courses total).

​​​​Im not sure that your interpretation is as clear cut as you try and make it sound though. Below is the Merriam Webster definition of maintain:

"to keep in an existing state (as of repair, efficiency, or validity) : preserve from failure or decline maintain machinery"

I would say the city is maintaining a road by filling a pothole - a place where the road has broken. If a machine breaks on my production floor, I call the maintenance department.

Regardless of the silly argument, I'll try and make my statement ad clear as possible: something is wrong with your car.

I don't think you should do anything with your car, it's not mine. Fix it or dont and just keep complaining, I don't care. What I do care about is all the crap you talk about the powertrain being gutless and not moving when in reverse without also noting that your car has a problem. I don't want people to think that the issues you've got are problems with these cars overall as they're not.

​​​​​My point in suggesting a shop is this has obviously been an ongoing issue that you haven't been able to correct (repair). It seems common sense to me that if it makes less torque than your l67, that it's down a lot of power and should be fixed if you care about keeping the car running right.

A shop has nothing to gain by hiding issues, but the shop may not be competent enough to find the problem either. Obviously you've fixed everything you thought was broken and the car still doesn't run right (or you wouldn't have the issues you keep complaining about), so someone should probably diagnose what else may be wrong.

If you said it that way, perhaps I wouldn't have been as concerned. It's totally fair to let everyone know about the problems your car has had. It's something different altogether to talk about how gutless it is and that it doesn't even have enough power to move when the car is put in gear.
Except, of course, that it IS gutless, and it DOESN'T even have enough power to move when the car is put in gear.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Old 06-25-2017, 06:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

Ok, I am jumping in. The short story is if you're car is guttles then something is wrong with your car. I think the dude is only trying to help you. If it has no more power than you say then it needs something fixed. Continuing to drive it like that leaves it running very inefficient. EOS.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:55 PM

Somebody mentioned the trunk hump. I agree, that was yet another horrendous design element of the 6th gen. The hump was associated with the Lincoln Mark series, never with the Monte Carlo. Why Chevy did that is anybody's guess. They hid it on the SS model with an ugly ironing board shaped spoiler which tended to collect soapy water underneath it every time the car was washed, so you'd always get streaks down the back after a wash.
Again, I got a lot of great service from my 03 SS, and I loved the ride quality and the reliable engine. You just had to imagine it looked like an 80s Monte Carlo to enjoy it. But it was hideous, lol.

Last edited by wolsblood07; 06-25-2017 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Reword one line
Old 06-26-2017, 02:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Except, of course, that it IS gutless, and it DOESN'T even have enough power to move when the car is put in gear.
Reading this whole thread, yeah i do agree i think something is wrong with your car, and some of your statements are your opinions they you think are facts in your head, My LS4 has been amazingly reliable (from 38k miles to 125k miles, 1 waterpump replaced and thats it. stock trans still) and even at stock exhaust you could hear it go down the road no problem. I've played with a modified l67 with a 3.4 pulley and the LS4 still pulls hard on it. Maybe def get yours checked out or maybe just push the gas a harder.
Plus with DOD on I was getting 270 miles a full tank and with it tuned out I'm pushing 300 miles. plus not having to add a qrt of oil every 3000 miles is nice too.

Last edited by MnteCrloSS47; 06-26-2017 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member

Okay, getting back to the styling discussion...

I'm not positive but I'm fairly sure none of the old-school Montes had a "trunk hump". Maybe Chevy figured that since the Lincoln Mark VIII was finished off that they'd grab its trunk hump for the new Monte... something to go with the rest of the curvy-wavy theme seen all over the car.

Overall I do like the 6th-gen styling, but yeah, that trunk hump is one of the few design oddities it has. Chevy made the trunklid flat again for the 7th-gen, right?

The design of the rear end section tends to make the regular tailpipe(s) look too small, I'd say.

Another thing I wish they would've done better is the lower grille, at least for the SS. A metal (not plastic) screen, maybe even like the SLP upper grille had, would've been sharper-looking. But since the cross-hatched grille is part of the whole front end section, it's hard to change the look to something else.

Attached Thumbnails Car and Driver magazine talks smack about 6th-gen Monte styling-2000_ss_ls.jpg  
Old 06-26-2017, 03:18 PM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

22 mpg with DoD, 13 mpg without. The guys who say removing it improves your mpg are lying. I will never deactivate it.
Just wanted to chime into this CNN style fake news post. "The guys who say removing it improves your mpg are lying"

LMAO. Just because you say so right?. Why would people lie about that? Not only did my mpg improve but the car ran 100% smoother and better. Functioning on all 8 cylinders as it should be instead of some cylinder deactivation GM used to market for gas savings. The car ran a lot worse constantly switching from 8 to 4 all the time prior to the dod being tuned out. Maybe your car is just garbage because you are the owner and also left DOD on too long and now the car is a POS.

Also you sound like a major goof as well. Big time clown.

Mods ban me. I don't care..