General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Calling all 5th gen owners =)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010
Talking Calling all 5th gen owners =)

Mkk guys, so as some of you may know, this December I will receive my associate's degree one semester before other kids who graduated with me (go me! lo) sooo that means I will be transferring to a major university. I was thinking about going to Mizzou but I may wait for the fall & just attend a smaller university in the area for the spring semester. When I get to Mizzou I will be worrying about my baby 24/7 with all of the crazy crowds & small roads soooo I talked to my dad the other day & told him that I was gonna be crazy scared for my car there, so he said I should try to save up for a cheap car to have as a daily driver for at the university (wayyyyy ahead of him). I've been saying that I want a lil S10, but they don't get great gas mileage & I would need a car with decent gas mileage for driving the 85 miles drive home almost every weekend. Well I got to thinking, I would need something that's cheap like the Breeze to replace since the Breeze is on it's last leg unfortunately & I don't really want a sedan, I really wanna coupe. Sooo I'm thinking & thinking, look outside the garage & am like OMG! I could get a cheap 5th gen Monte Carlo since I keep hearing about people around here for getting them for only a couple hundred bucks. I keep saying that I hope to own one of each generation someday, well this would knock the 5th gen off of the list lol! So yeah, moving on from the lil story.....I need some info about the 5th gens. Do they get good gas mileage? Are all of the models reliable? I wanna Z34 but I need a cheap car & idk if I'll be able to find a cheap Z34 around here. Are they cheap when it comes to insurance? Etc...anything else y'all think I need to know when looking for one, please tell me! I really reallyyyy wanna black one but the black ones seem hard to find...white ones are really popular around here apparently lol. So yeah any help would be awesome

Old 09-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

couple hundred buck usually = some repairs to get it on the road, there was just a thread about est mpg, probably find some estemates there on gas miliage there

Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Not in all cases. The last guy I talked to at the car show this past weekend got one for like 500 bucks for his daily driver so he could park his 50th anniversary corvette & he said it runs great! The other guy I know got one for 300ish bucks & got an engine for only around 100 bucks at this local junk yard that was having a hugeee sale! my dad is a mechanic too so that most def helps

Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

95-99 LS' came with the 3100 and can get up to 30mpg on the highway and 20 city.

95-97 Z34's came with the 3.4L DOHC v6 and get about 20mpg on the highway and 15 or so city.

98-99 Z34's have the 3800 v6 and can get over 30mpg highway and 20 city.

I'm not sure really about insurance, but for a reference my 98 Monte Z34 with full coverage is about $500/6 months. I still have one speeding ticket left on my license too.

When my Monte was NA with the GT1 cam and many other mods, I recorded a hair over 28mpg on the highway.

I usually see 98-99 Z34's go for $2000-$3000 and the other models are usually a bit cheaper with even some LS' going for $1000 in good condition.

Stock LS' typically run high 16's to low 17's in the 1/4 mile.

Stock 95-97 Z34's typically run high 15's to mid 16's. I have seen a few rare ones run mid 15's stock and some that are beat up have run high 16's.

Stock 98-99 Z34's typically run high 15's to low 16's. I ran a 15.7 when I was bone stock one month after I bought the Monte.

If there's anything else, just let me know

Old 09-08-2010, 09:17 PM

lol thanks man, I really really want the Z34 with the 3800 engine in it but idk if I'll be able to find any =/ but this won't happen for a couple months in the future so I got time to look around & save up. Even a couple thousand wouldn't be that bad I guess if I keep having this job. I just really wanna try to have it by this time next year but I guess we will jsut wait & see. My dad has a friend/frequent customer who owns a local lil car dealership so I'm gonna ask him how much he would charge me if he ever gets one at his place.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

you're in almost the same boat as me! I want a 98-99 Z34 for the winter months so I can just park mine when it gets to crappy outside, especially after this past winter! I have my eyes on 1 that I think I could get for $2500 but it is not inspected, but I really want it! Goodluck with your search Brittany.......

Old 09-08-2010, 10:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

If you really want something that will get you back and forth and be very inexpensive, then get a 97-99 LS. I was getting 28 MPG doing 80 from Oklahoma to Allentown PA and it never skipped a beat. Just make sure you keep an eye out for water levels and keep the oil changed. And since its an LS, Insurance is very cheap.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
you're in almost the same boat as me! I want a 98-99 Z34 for the winter months so I can just park mine when it gets to crappy outside, especially after this past winter! I have my eyes on 1 that I think I could get for $2500 but it is not inspected, but I really want it! Goodluck with your search Brittany.......
Thanks! You too! My goal is to get this monte into more of a show monte but of course I'll still take it out every now & then to show it off when there are no shows going on =) & it'll give me a car to drive while I work deeply on the performance mods of the 6th gen monte

Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 PM

I read the whole thing and all I can think is home almost every weekend, really, why? I went to MU and there was one summer I didn't even come home, Columbia is an awesome town for a college student.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Brittney I see alot of monte's on craigslist may want to check there in your area. Scooby Doo she has to come home every weekend to see her baby.

Quick Reply: Calling all 5th gen owners =)