General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Calling all 06/07 SS owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 05:35 PM
Default Calling all 06/07 SS owners

I have a new 07 SS on order. I have seen many conflicting areas as to what type of fuel (Regular or Premium) should be used.

In the 2006 Monte brochure it states that the 5.3 V8 runs on regular. In "Spec" out sheets on the car it indicates premium. I seem to remember that somewhere I heard that yes, you can run regular with no problem, but premium should be used for maximum performance. Will there be any problems is you use regular grade (87 Octane) all the time????

What are you using? Have you tried both grades, and if so, do you notice any differences?

What's your feelings?

Are there any GM techs out there following this board that can give us the straight goods on this?

Old 12-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Default RE: Calling all 06/07 SS owners

In my 06' manual it clearly states for the 5.3L to use premium fuel of 91 octane or higher. Any LSX engine should use premium fuel. If you can afford a Monte Carlo SS, you should be able to afford premium fuel.

Regards,

Old 12-10-2006, 07:05 PM

Your comment on being able to afford the premium fuel strikes me as somewhat sarcastic. I don't have any problem with the damn cost of the gas, I am asking the question because there is a discrepancy in what various GM literature says.

I have a 2006 brochure and on page 9, where they explain the technological features, it says, and I quote:

"The 5.3L V8 Displacement on Demand (DOD) engine on the Monte Carlo SS features pent-roof combustion chambers, flat-top pistons and a composite intake manifold that all help the engine generate outstanding power without having to use premium gasoline."

Who knows, maybe the specs changed since the brochure was printed. If you are reading from your owners manual, I would assume it should be correct.

No offence

Old 12-10-2006, 07:57 PM

Yeah in the fuel section is does say to use premium, not being sarcastic at all! A car as nice as this should use premium without hesitation. I dont know why GM prints conflicting information. Vette with LS1/2/6/7 all recommend premium. Camaro With LS1, recommend premium. Even my Cobalt SS Supercharged requires premium. I would assume for sure the LS4 does as well.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:11 PM

But you have to remember with this engine even though it is an lsX engine it has dod, so it could still be different then the other ls engines

Old 12-10-2006, 11:16 PM

None of the monte carlo engines require premium.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: cain45

In my 06 manual, it says Premium should be used, however, if necessary you can use regular in a pinch. I will scan this page and post it here as proof... Unless for some reason the Canadian Manual is different then American.
Going to sleep so I will do it tomorrow...

3.5, 3.9 no

5.3L Yes

Jason

Old 12-10-2006, 11:53 PM

Exactly. There is a difference between "recommending" premium fuel and "requiring" premium fuel. The Monte Carlo SS will run with no problem on mid-grade (89 octane) gas. I personally wouldn't go as low as using regular gas though. I drive a '96 Trans Am and an '01 Grand Prix GTP w/the supercharged V6. Both clearly state in the owners manual & on the gas cap (the Trans Am also has a disclaimer in the instrument panel near the gas gauge) that premium fuel is "required" (or premium fuel only). The Monte Carlo SS says "recommended". Simple as that.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:12 AM

In my 2007 Monte Carlo owner manual on page 299 quoted "If your vehicle has the 5.3L V8 engine(VIN Code C), use premium
unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You may also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or
higher, but your vehicle's acceleration may be slightly reduced, and you may notice a slight audible knocking noise, commonly
referred to as spark knock. If the octane is less than 87, you may notice a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs,
use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine. If you are using gasoline
rated at 87 octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, your engine needs service".

So there you have it. You can make your choice. I know which grade I'm going to use. 91 or higher, no spark knocking for me.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:44 AM

Recommended and required are two totally different things. Required in a GTP with supercharged engine yes. In a trans am NO. Maybe recommended for maximum performance in a Trans Am but it's never been required. Wrong info 07montessgirl!!!!

Quick Reply: Calling all 06/07 SS owners