General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

A/C Compressor Question

Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 AM
10 Year Member
Default A/C Compressor Question

Is it common for the A/C compressor to develop a leak on 2000-2005 3800 Montes? Supposedly mine is leaking. I had it charged and it didn't last one week. A new compressor costs $400-$500 not including labor according to the shop I took it to. They'll put a used one on it but don't recommend it, of course. I found used compressors at junkyards online (using car-part.com) as low as $40-$60. They want to put a $175 used one on it. I found them for less than $200 rebuilt on Ebay. Shop's claim: "We've had bad luck with rebuilt ones." I think I'm done taking any vehicles there. I'm tempted to buy a rebuilt one and put it on myself then have it charged elsewhere. I also wonder if I should take it elsewhere before I do that to see where they think its leaking, but I'm getting tired of throwing money at diagnosing it and would like to fix it. Any thoughts on what I should do from here?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Are we 100% sure the compressor is leaking and it's not just some stupid o-ring in the system??

Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member

I personally am NOT 100% sure its the compressor. That's why I'm wondering if I should get a second opinion, before I buy a new/used/rebuilt compressor.
When they first charged it they couldn't find a leak (even with dye in the system), but they put "possible compressor leak" on the bill. They wanted to check it again for leaks after a week or so, and it just so happened that the A/C stopped working before I took it back.
I haven't checked it in the last day or so, but even after it stopped getting cold, the clutch engaged when turning the A/C on. I figured if the refrigerant was so low it wouldn't get cold the clutch wouldn't engage. I guess I was wrong about that.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:09 AM

15 Year Member

I would get a second opinion on where the leak is from, a pressure test should have easily showed a leak if there was one.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:13 AM
10 Year Member

I'll try to ask around and see if anyone is especially "good" with a/c systems around here.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 AM
10 Year Member

Do any of those sealers help or is it a waste of money? I also don't want to do more damage to the system by introducing something like that into it, unless it wouldn't matter.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 AM

15 Year Member

I usually dont' recommend people to "fix" their AC at home, since the freon is illegal to release improperly.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:02 PM
10 Year Member

Yet its legal for a shop to put freon in even though they expect/know its going to leak out. That's the impression I get from this place. I used to like them, but I've really lost trust in them over this and won't go back.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:20 PM

First, I would not use a used compressor because you don't know its condition and if it goes bad, you have to start all over. R134 is now $15 a can so its not cheap.

To test for a leak, buy some dye that is in a can with a hose attachment on it that hooks onto the low side shrader valve and spray some dye in the system and then run the AC. Compressors can leak and many do because of bad design. Most have body gaskets where the two halves of the compressor are put together and this is where they tend to leak. They can also leak around the clutch area.

Look at your compressor and all line and hose connections and see if they look oily or dirty. If so, this is probably your leak area.

I recommend a new compressor, not a rebuild from the local parts stores. Do not buy a four seasons rebuild, they are junk. I buy parts from ACKITS.com and is probably the only place I would buy a reman from if going that route. I"ve been dealing with them for five years and they also have an AC forum that has people on it that do this for a living and can help you with AC problems.

Do not put sealers in your system as they can clog up your condensor and evaporator and even the orifice tube.

Wayne

Old 06-22-2011, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member

Thanks Wayne. I was afraid of that about the sealer.
On a side note. I still don't understand why the compressor engages fully but doesn't get cold. Every other vehicle I've known of, the compressor starts cycling on and off when it gets low on freon, then eventually stops engaging at all. This one engages, stays engaged and it doesn't even get slightly cold. Before I had it charged it didn't engage at all. Oh well, off to a different shop I go. Maybe. Might put if off til next year, too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Question