General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Buying 6th gen 2000-2005

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:23 AM
Default Buying 6th gen 2000-2005

hello

Im trying to buy a 6th gen around xmas time im just wondering if theres something I should especially look for like problems and what mods and upgrades can be done? thanks in advance

Old 09-08-2010, 06:24 AM

If you want to mod, stay away from the 3.4 liter engine. The 3.8 Liter, both supercharged and n/A have way more mod options.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you want power and options, keep looking for an SS (in 2005 you can also look at an LT)

Look under the radiator cap and the oil cap for a deposit, like milk or a milkshake. If you see that, I wouldn't bother with the car. Check the transmission fluid, and when you test drive it, let it warm up for a good 15 minutes, then go for a drive. The transmission needs to be warm to feel if it has a problem, and make sure it shifts well. And that there is no thump when you go from a stop to a go (like at a red light)

I can't really think of much that is out of the ordinary.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

The only major issues that immediately come to mind are the Intermediate Steering Shaft (ISS), and the gauge cluster.

The ISS is more of a minor annoyance. When the steering shaft gets dry, it tends to start making a little clunking sound when making turns. This is easily remedied by simply greasing the ISS.

The other known issue I can think of is the guage cluster. Some of the original gauges have a tendency to go bad. But this doesn't happen very often. Some people have never had the problem. But it is a known issue at the dealership service departments.

Neither issue should be a deal breaker though. Something to keep in mind is the supercharged Monte's.

The 2004 & 2005 had an optional Supercharged 3.8 litre SS. It adds 40 horsepower, but also calls for premium gas.

The 2000-2005 Monte Carlo SS came with the 3.8 litre "3800 Series II" engine. It is a very popular engine, used in many different GM models. It is one of the best engines GM has had in the past 20 years. There are many mods available for it.

You may happen across a nascar edition Monte Carlo. They were available in "Pace Car" edition, and driver editions themed after nascar drivers (Dale Earnhardt Sr, Dale Earnhardt Jr, Jeff Gordon, and Tony Stewart). Dealers like to drastically over-price these cars. You can usually get these for a decent price. But it may take some negotiating. Tell them you don't really like the driver. LOL.

However...
If you're all about power, you may want to consider a 2006 or 2007 Monte Carlo SS. It came with the 5.3 litre V8 engine. The only MAJOR exterior visual difference is the front end. Headlights, grill, bumper, fog lights, etc. The interior got a freshened up look.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome and good luck in your Monte quest!

Old 09-08-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by navytron
hello

Im trying to buy a 6th gen around xmas time im just wondering if theres something I should especially look for like problems and what mods and upgrades can be done? thanks in advance
Hi `Navytron & Welcome to the MonteCarloFamily.

Explore the forum & you will learn a lot about the Monte Carlo. You are wise to do your homework before purchasing.
To you have a price range ? The 06-07 Monte S.S. has the V8 and it has the power & the sounds : )

Also, I found that it's great to request a CarFax on the Monte that you are looking at, or buying....It will give you the history on the vehicle, like how many owners, any accidents, etc...

Wish you good luck on your search...Keep us updated...

Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Default 6th gen.......

..Good luck on your decision to buy a 2000-05 model. They are out there. Just be patient and get the car that you want.
Ditto on what "Blacksheep" and "Taz" said. If you look at a Supercharged model be sure to ask about the Supercharger oil.
Not very many people who own these models know that the S/C OIl should be changed 2-3 times a year ( depending on miles). It's simple process to do so. Check the Air-Cabin filter. There is a thread in the "How To Section" explaining this.
Also, take a magnet with you and check for any Bondo. Invest in a Car-Fax account.
Hope this helps ?

Old 09-09-2010, 03:00 AM

I think I want to spend around 2000-4000 on the car. Im prolly going to try the auctions first and then craigslist. I like the look of the 2000-2005 I just want to make mine unique thats why I was interested in what mods are available but if I get one with a 3.4 can I swap it to 3.8 with no problems?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

The engine swap will cost about the same as the difference between the 2 cars, and you'll have a lesser suspension, possible no spoiler, and single exit exhaust.

Save it up and get the 3.8 from the beginning. Odds are, you'll be supercharging the 3.8 anyway haha

Old 09-09-2010, 11:18 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you decide the '06/07 Montes look good to you, they were also available with a 3.5 V6 and in 2006 a 3.9 was available with the 3LT model. 2006 also saw the LTZ model which is a one year ONLY model for the Monte Carlo. They came standard with a 3.9 V6 under the hood. The 3.9 is rated @ 242 horsepower which is an improvment over the N/A 3.8 engines.

(We've talked to some degree on here as to which would be faster? the N/A 3.9 OR..... the supercharged 3.8 V6 engine?)

One note I can add is the '00-'03 Pace cars have become popular to the degree people have started to clone them. Check the car's VIN if you run across a Pace car and are seriously considering buying. It will tell you if the car is genuine. (not that a VIN can't be swapped by a person wanting to go to that degree)

Just some things to think over.

Quick Reply: Buying 6th gen 2000-2005