General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Bumpin update

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:50 AM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bumpin update

I know it's been awhile since I've posted an update. Been kinda busy with work and such.

Just recently started pulling the monte's engine apart to do some upgrading.

First up is actually installing the Yella Terra lower adapter and IC. However, the core it comes with is barely 1" thick- so the first task is to upgrade the core size, and style to bar and plate:

(The core on the bottom is not the original YT core- the original one is much thinner- I'll try and get a side by side pic of those 2 together)

This is what the completed assembly will look like:

Next up was opening the width of the LIM inlet to match the new core outlet:

Filler metal going back in to patch up the holes

Done with welding:

All the work on the IC core and LIM is being done by PRJ- he has been extrememly helpful through this build!

Picked up a new TB, for now, I'm just going to open up the inlet on the Animul adapter and run that- I didn't want to put a lot of money into this part, because it is going to be totally changed with the RWD conversion. With this TB though, Whipple has a RWD inlet U bend for GM SUV applications that will wrap the inlet around, and will work with this TB.

Front head off:

You can also see I've temporarily installed the alternator relocation bracket too. Still haven't picked up a belt to try it out.

Front head:

One thing I found kinda funny- leaking crossover pipe. I knew the seal had broke after it sat for awhile, you could definitely hear the leak under the hood. Good time as any to fix it though...

image limit...

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-26-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 AM
15 Year Member

stupid image limit...

Ordered the shortened snout from Yella Terra so the belts line up properly with their adapter one; also ordered a 64mm pulley.

I also picked up the 82mm and 74mm pullies off Jonbob (the guy who has the record for whipple 3800 power over here in the states). The 82mm is close to the size Jon made his record 536 whp on (they had a 3.25" pulley on, the 82mm = 3.23"; and made 21 psi on their setup). The 74mm is about a 2.91", and the 64mm is about a 2.52". That 64 looks SO tiny...

Also just got some new injectors in. 110#- E85, here I come Still need to pick up a 2nd Walbro pump to feed it.

The oddball injector in the pic is one of the 65# injectors I used to run.

Well, that's about it for now- still have quite a few more parts to order... probably shooting for getting everything back together by end of the summer or so.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-26-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:56 AM

WoW ~> Yes you've been missed for sure & it's great to see you back with your super updates...
Thanks for posting + all the super pic's on what you are doing...I'm sure many of our member's will really enjoy..
Everyone needs a break from the MCF & space, but we hope you are back again & keeping us updated on your project...

How's, your GXP
How to like you new location/home/work etc.

Will be looking forward to your future posts 4-Sure
Wish you and yours a SuperFun Holiday WeekEnd

Old 05-26-2012, 10:16 AM
15 Year Member

The GXP is running great. My wife usually drives it, since she works so close to home. It just recently broke 20k miles. Still pretty much stock- just the K&N 'CAI', cutout, and the 5% tint. Definitely fun to drive. I'd like to do an LS6 intake at some point, and then headers- and I think I'll be done with modding it. Really has plenty of power for daily driving, highway cruising.

Probably should update my sig too- the 03 Impala is sold. Didn't need that many DD's.

Haven't really touched the Camaro either- once I get the Monte put back together- that'll be my next focus. I've got it running and driving, but it needs tires, a windshield, both window motors, and some paint.

I did get some 20's for the 08 Impala, and just recently got it tinted in 20% all around (didn't have the tint yet in the pic- I'll have to get a new one)

Definitely like it out here- although now we're starting to get into the real summer, so it is a bit hot during the day. I don't much care for the 100+ degree days, but the evenings aren't bad at all- and I'll take a few months of hot summer over negative temps and snow in the winter. Plus, its normally sunny 99% of the time, so that helps keep you in a good mood.

My job out here is going great- I'm a Quality Engineer for a major defense contractor. It is very stimulating, and is really a cool job.

The house is good- haven't made too much progress on it really- still need to get furniture to fill up a couple of the rooms. We did finally get a pool in the backyard- so that helps on the hot summer days!

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:55 AM

Sweet! I wish I was mechanical as you, and a lot of members on here. Good luck, keep us updated.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Hi `Chad,
Thanks for your reply & update...It sure is great to read good news from one of our SuperSuper Member's 4-Sure...
I'm happy for you & yours 4-Sure...It was a great decision to move to your paradise & into your castle WoW...
It's great also that you got your pool installed...

Will be looking forward to your future updates...
Thanks as always for sharing your time & talent...
Wish you continued Good Luck in Life & with your awesome `Rides...
( below from your former thread)

p.s. Hi `Jose, I agree with you & wish I had Chad's talent/home/car/pool/life (LOL)
It gives me the incentive 2 keep working hard to make my dreams come `true 4-Real...

Last edited by Space; 05-26-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

CHAD! Thanks for the update

When you say be done by the summer... that means the Whipple build only right?

How long until you think the RWD conversion will start?

Old 05-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Yes sir that's what I call progress! Nice work man, great to hear from you!

Old 05-26-2012, 02:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Awesome work! Keep us updated

Old 05-26-2012, 04:34 PM
15 Year Member

p.s. Hi `Jose, I agree with you & wish I had Chad's talent/home/car/pool/life (LOL)
It gives me the incentive 2 keep working hard to make my dreams come `true 4-Real
Thanks Space- love the pic too, pretty funny! I don't think the HOA would approve of the engine in the front yard though

When you say be done by the summer... that means the Whipple build only right?

How long until you think the RWD conversion will start?
Yeah- just getting the engine back together and IC'd by the end of the summer. RWD conversion is still probably another year or so out. I'm still missing the two most expensive components- the trans and rear end- so just getting both of those will be 50% of the battle. I have been keeping my eye out for a T-56, but there are just a ton of people looking for them.

Quick Reply: Bumpin update