General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Default Bra?

Hey guys, I own an 06 Monte SS. I've found several companys that make bras for 05 and earlier, Has anyone managed to find one for the 06? I'm thinkin it's time to buy one with winter just around the corner.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Default RE: Bra?

I would strongly recommend against it, especially for winter. Bras are fine for a trip here and there to keep the bugs off, but unless you take it off and consistently clean behind it, it can ruin your paint. Winter time would be the absolute worst time to use one IMO - best thing to prevent front end chips is keeping a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:11 PM

I completely disagree with the winter statment. Your car will receive MUCH more damage without the Bra on in the winter. All the sand, salt and stones on the road will severly pitt/chip your paint. Remember, the entire portion of the lower bra is being wrapped around plastic and not metal so you do not need to worry about it rusting. As for the hood portion of the bra, just take it off every few weeks (takes 2 seconds) and just give it a quick wash underneath. I have had bras on all my cars for many many years and as long as you have a few good coats of wax underneath you will be fine! As for where its available, www.carbras.com (the maker of PerfectFit car bras) is working on a Mold for the 06 Monte as we speak as I have been in contact with the owner there several times on its progress.

remember, you will receive MUCH more damage with it off, rather then with it on!

Cheers!

jason

Old 10-10-2006, 01:51 PM

That is just it though, most people will not clean and keep a good coat of wax underneath the bra. It isn't rust you have to worry about, it is the consistent rubbing on the paint that will wear off the wax, and even more so the dirt/sand etc that gets behind it and effectively sands your paint away slowly.

If you plan on removing it and cleaning/waxing behind it often then it is a great idea, I won't argue that but the reality is very few people actually do this - that is a lot of work that can be avoided though if you just keep a good coat of wax and some distance. I drive on North America's busiest highway daily and haven't had a problem with salt etc ruining the front end. Do not keep it on year round either as you paint will fade differently, then you are stuck leaving it on all the time because it looks funny.

A "sandblasted" front end is a tell tale sign of a tailgater

I do have a bra myself, but rarely use it. I use it only for long highway trips where I know bugs/stone chips will/can be an issue.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

lebra makes one

part # 55105501

any parts place should be able to get it for you, i sell it and i'm from Woodstock, ontario, CAnada

Old 10-10-2006, 03:40 PM

Yes LeBra makes one but the Quality is crap, they rip and have a rough surface. Wait for the Perfect Fit bra to come out, and you will FEEL the difference in quality.

Just my past experience!

Jason

Old 10-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

wow, i thought lebra was the best, i never heard anything bad against them, thats a first

i dunno i dont use them but that is the most common one that i sell

Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate the links and feeback.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:43 AM

I have a LeBra for my '06 and the quality & fit is second to none. Bought mine on Ebay and they made it for me only once I ordered it. It's awesome and if you keep it washed & waxed behind it you'll never have problems. In addition to washing & waxing make sure you keep it tight too. I love mine and have always had one on every car I've had and never had an problems.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:56 PM

I dont like the Lebra for reasons I rather not discuss. I have always bought from Colgen for my Monte bras unfortunatly they have not made one for the 06-07 SS. I wrote them and asked about it and they said it was on their list but not until next spring at the earliest. I could not wait for that long for too much damage could happen between now and then so I went ahead and got 3M clear protection shield for the front of my car. It does cost over $500 to get it installed but I feel it is a good investment for my Monte.

Quick Reply: Bra?