General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Battery relocation

Old 12-29-2014, 09:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Battery relocation

How many have moved there battery to the trunk and how difficult was it.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:34 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Mel:
I have not personally relocated mine in either of the Montes but found the following information from another source."Catalog

JEGS Battery Relocation Kits - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Some people remove the spare tire and use that area, some will just mount the battery on the floor, if the car will be raced you may need the battery in a box to pass tech at a track. You should have a disconnect next to the relocated battery, if you run at the track the switch will need to be activated out the rear of the car.

The above mentioned kits will aid install but most guys buy the parts locally and use one of the race disconects from Moroso and alike. The Monte stock wiring uses the "battery" terminal on the starter to feed three fusibly link protected higher current circuit so don't skimp on the gauge of the wire running from the battery in the trunk all the way up to the starter.

If you have stereo equipment that pulls a lot of amps you'll need to plan for that when you distribute power from the rear of the car, instead of up front. I've contemplated a battery relocation several times but just don't want the battery there yet for several reasons, loss of trunk space/fumes/cosmetics a few. The space saver tire has only ever been out of that hole once to clean the tire. That said, I would hate to leave my car on some dark back road because I didn't have a spare tire. So that leaves the trunk floor to mount the battery. Bob"

Old 12-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have mine in the trunk but I still have a battery up front too. It was really easy to run to the back of the car. I have 0 gauge running through mind but if you are just relocating you can probably use 4 gauge and be good or maybe even 8 gauge wire. I have all the wire underneath the carpet in the car.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:31 AM

10 Year Member

Im going to have it floor mounted it I removed the spare from the car and have a decorative battery box and it will look awesome in the car shows. Thank you guys for the info!! I live in the city so flat beds are just a call a way.

Last edited by Mels SS; 12-30-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

It isn't difficult at all. You will need a battery with a higher CCA though because of the cable length. If you can, take a look at a newer Camaro SS for routing ideas. They come from the factory with the battery mounted where the spare tire would be.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:37 AM

10 Year Member

Mike do you think my Optima Red will have enough to do the job.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:08 AM

You Should be good with your red top. IIRC they are 800 CCA and my factory battery is 765 CCA. The battery needs to be vented through the trunk floor. A 4 gauge or 2 gauge (recommended) cable should be used.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:30 PM

10 Year Member

Why would it need to be vented for a sealed gel battery? And how do you vent it.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:32 AM

i have a red top in the truck very easy to do i used 0 guage... i didnt vent mine i figured it was sealed but i guess if it blew up or something crazy so the gasses do stay in the car?

Old 01-02-2015, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mels SS
Why would it need to be vented for a sealed gel battery? And how do you vent it.
The red top I had there was caps on the top of the cells. I went to a battery store and purchased new caps that had nipples on them. I used brake line bent at 90° that slid over the nipples and drilled holes in the bottom of the trunk. The brake line was protected passing through the trunk floor with grommets inside the holes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery relocation