General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Bad fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Bad fuse?

I recently noticed that there are times my front speakers do not work. For a while I've thought they were just broken but the other day they were working perfectly fine. In addition to the working, I realized my chime was actually working too. Now there are days when both front speakers and chime won't work and other days they do work. I'm curious if this is just a bad fuse or something else? I haven't noticed anything in particular that could be the reason why they work or not. Any advice helps, thanks!

Old 03-08-2016, 02:03 PM

There is a wire near the right rear of the interior that's likely the issue. Two wire join to one, using a pinch connector. It's under the carpet towards the outer edge.The impala had the issue, and my monte is just starting too. I think it's related to having water in the interior, both had decent water leaks due to the cabin air filter.

What I did to fix the impala was to cut out the connector and solder in a piece of wire to bridge the gap between the wires. I'll snag a couple pictures, showing the bad connector (corrodes and either loses connection or has high resistance) and my fix.

Note, this caused all four speakers (including chimes) to stop working. It's a good place to start looking though, if the connector's corroded, it's likely the issue.