General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

The awesomeness that incurred

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default The awesomeness that incurred

Decided to paint my headlights and found that for some reason, one had been opened before..

Pictures say it all.. Keep in mind, there was NO BAKING REQUIRED with this...

Happy with the outcome although, I would spend the money next time to buy them already with black housing instead of going thru that again myself..

Old 05-25-2017, 08:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks good!

What's going on with the hood/fender alignment?

Old 05-25-2017, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Looks good!

What's going on with the hood/fender alignment?
Hoods bent from an accident with the previous owner.. Along with a couple other cosmetics I need to fix.

And thats where that headlight up there ^ come into the picture.. The whole assembly needed to be replaced before I bought the car, and its the one with all that nasty gooey sht??

Any idea why in the world that stuff would be there? Previous guy didnt do anything inside there and it looked professional except that it was leaking out of each corner of the lens.... As far as I was told, anything that was replaced, came from the stealership.

Last edited by wht02monte; 05-25-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

I doubt it was an official GM part in that case. Probably just a cheap ol' replacement that leaked badly and was sealed poorly.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member

I like them, nice job. Bet that had to take a minute.

So how did you manage to remove the lense without baking them? I did the bake thing on my original ones years ago. Then found and installed the limited run black with out the amber lense style, apparently they were not DOT legal and were removed from the market.

So your solution worked out nicely. How did you seal them back up? I used a product by 3M called "Window Weld". Did you have to clamp the lense to the housing overnight etc.?

Old 05-31-2017, 09:25 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
So how did you manage to remove the lense without baking them? I did the bake thing on my original ones years ago.

How did you seal them back up? Did you have to clamp the lense to the housing overnight etc.?
I peeled the lens off with my bare hand, only used the screwdriver in there to hold it open cause that stuff was so wet and sticky. The other light was what you'd expect (factory seal needed baking) but that one in the pic.. Man, it was just this gooey black nasty crap.. With no indication that the previous owner had anything in there (housing).

I did the shirt wrapped around the headlight with a stick twisting it in the back.

Gonna buy em next time...