General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

5th Gen ('95-'99): AutoWeek magazine scans: MC is "Name Without A Face"?

Old 01-28-2017, 09:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default AutoWeek magazine scans: MC is "Name Without A Face"?

We're going back to the '90s!

This time it's a two-page article from February 1995, a driving impression of the Monte Carlo Z34 when it was new. The author is the same one who wrote the bigger MC/Lumina article before, so the editorial bias/point of view didn't change.

This article has some fair compliments and criticisms of the reborn Monte, but also a few strange ones, like saying "the dash is high" (I have no idea what he means), and it's "difficult to see the gear indicator" (no, it isn't).
Also, I have to chuckle at people who said the Monte Carlo's c-pillars were too wide and thus blocked their visibility outward. I wonder what they'd say about looking out from the narrow windows of something like today's Camaro?

Still, I thought the author drew a good comparison between the new 5th-gen and the original 1st-gen Monte in terms of overall clean body style and personal-coupe purpose.
Anyway, there's one more AutoWeek article I found, so come around next week and check it out!

. . .

And from elsewhere in the same issue, here's a bonus page for our driver number 3.

Attached Thumbnails AutoWeek magazine scans: MC is "Name Without A Face"?-aw1995_monte1.jpg   AutoWeek magazine scans: MC is "Name Without A Face"?-aw1995_monte2.jpg   AutoWeek magazine scans: MC is "Name Without A Face"?-aw1995_dale3.jpg  
Old 01-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

I believe it was Jeff Gordon that took the 5th Gen Monte Carlo to the victory circle the most back in the 90's Jeff and Dale battled a lot this is where the Hendricks team took the car to the wind tunnel and made the proper adjustments to make it the most Aerodynamic car that it could be. I was watching an interview with him once on TV and he preferred the 5th Gen as a better platform to win races. Dale and the Goodwrench team struggled to catch up all during this time but he was able to make some dramatic wins with it at the Brickyard, Talladega, and at Bristol, and finally the Daytona 500 in 98. Seems like the cookie cutter tracks like Texas, Vegas and those were the ones that Gordon was the best and the Aero package work for him the best.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hard to really understand with the Monte Carlo being such a winner on the circuit why Chevrolet wanted to replace it, and with an Impala to boot. Someone in Detroit needed to have their water tested for lead poisoning, rotted their brain.

Search this Thread