General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Aftermarket Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:46 AM
Default Aftermarket Gauges

Hey all, I have gotten 3 aftermarket gauges for my newly modded monte, and I am trying to figure out where the best place to hook parts of the gauges up to... btw all of these gauges are on an a-pillar..

gauge 1) Boost gauge: I already got it hooked up to a vacuum/boost line, but for the back lighting i need to splice into a 12v line, and put in a negative... this would be the easiest one, but any suggestions on what 12v line to hit?

gauge 2) Air/Fuel gauge: three wires, black, red, violet; black needs to ground out on the engine, red needs a 12v line, and violet needs to be spliced somewhere in between the pcm and connector thats running to the o2 sensor... any suggestions on where to tap for these wires?

gauge 3) Trans Temp gauge: To be honest i have no idea what this one needs lol, got frustrated (and it got dark out) with the first two that i didnt even look at this one, but im assuming theres a ground and 12v wire on this one too...

if anyone has done any of these please let me know before i lose it lol

Old 11-18-2009, 04:18 PM

I don't know if I'd even bother with the air/fuel gauge- monitoring a narrowband O2 sensor is kinda useless IMO; plus when driving around, its just a lightshow.

All the grounds are easy- tie them all together at a clean metal point in the car.

As for all of the +12 hookups, I'd probably use the ignition wire, so they all come on whenever you turn the car on. Just to be safe, I'd just use the ignition wire to trip a relay, and run a separate power to a battery line with its own fuse.

Personally, I ran 2 +12 wires to mine- all of the things that need +12 for a backlight, I used the parking lights to trip a relay (because I only wanted the backlight on when my other dashlights were on)- then I used my ignition wire to trip a separate relay to give power to the gauges that needed a +12 to function at all.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 PM

thanks man, yeh i managed to get the boost gauge light going, found a good ground, and i actually tied it into the fog lights (some ******* kicked out my left one, and its effed up, so i just disconnected the right one for now).. and now i can can turn the light on and off with the fog light switch... seems to work alright for now, we'll see how long that lasts lol

as for the fuel/air... i already got it, so i might as well hook it up lol

and the tranny temp gauge... ill post news when that **** show comes out lol

Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 PM

Do 6th gen Montes have the power drop harness under the glove box like Grand Prixs do? If so, that'd give you the constant +12, switched +12, and ground all together. ZZP hasa harness you could buy too to avoid any cutting of factory wires. But I just don't know if Montes have it, cuz I've never looked...

As for the trans temp gauge, there's a pressure-test port on the top of the tranny that most people use, in case you didn't already know that.