General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Advice on new purchase

Old 05-28-2018, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Advice on new purchase

Hey guys, looking into a 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD. I found a good deal and got a chance to check it out before buying so just on here looking for your 2 cents lol

I know Cadillac has had its bad reputation but this has lifetime warranty 👏 anyways, I've got a couple concerns I'd like advice on...

1. There's some residue on the oil cap and I want to know if it looks normal, or if it may ve something more serious. (Pictures attached)

2. CEL is on and I ran the codes: P0013 P0014 (exhaust camshaft or camshaft advanced) and P0506 (Idle Air Control)

I have to make up my mind by tomorrow morning and honestly the oil cap is my biggest concern. Although its got lifetime warranty I don't want to buy a car I'll already have to invest in. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Advice on new purchase-20180528_175028.jpg   Advice on new purchase-20180528_175022.jpg  
Old 05-28-2018, 08:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

This could be from a car that is not driven very far or often and the oil gets a natural condensation in it.
The PVC valve usually takes care of it.
However the Oil should be changed right away and this cap should be cleaned. Oil may be acidic?
Normally that is a typical issue and nothing to worry about. I check my cars and see it too.
Take a look inside the Cap to see what it looks like, sometimes they almost look like vanilla pudding.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the good news!

Dealership says oil was changed but I'll have to buy that new oil cap. I checked the oil itself from the dipstick and it looks good. Maybe I'm just being paranoid haha I've been told an oil catch can would help too so I'll probably invest in one of those too. Thanks again!

Old 05-29-2018, 09:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Buying privately, or from a dealer?

I'm surprised to see those codes, they are covered completely from Cadillac and shouldn't even be on the car.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:42 AM

Wondering which dealership your going too ? I know Forest lake dealers were offering lifetime warranty , my dad and brother both got thier trucks and are quite happy.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep

I'm surprised to see those codes, they are covered completely from Cadillac and shouldn't even be on the car.

Exactly what I was thinking. This shouldn't be on the lot if it has a check engine light. They need to fix that before I'd go anywhere near it.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep

Buying from a dealership. Yea they said they would take care of it no problem when I brought it up. Just wonder why they didn't fix before they put it on the lot

Old 05-30-2018, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
Wondering which dealership your going too ? I know Forest lake dealers were offering lifetime warranty , my dad and brother both got thier trucks and are quite happy.
We went to walser toyota in Bloomington. I honestly wouldn't of purchased a cadi without lifetime warranty lol

Old 05-30-2018, 08:11 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by S.O.G.
Buying from a dealership. Yea they said they would take care of it no problem when I brought it up. Just wonder why they didn't fix before they put it on the lot
It should be a sensor, right on the top of the engine. 30 minutes to fix it. Why would they list it without doing 30 minutes of work?

Seems like some neglect, idk how much I would trust this place. Especially if you feel like it's a REALLY good deal for the car.

What's the lifetime warranty? Through that dealership only, through any dealership. If your engine seized, would they completely replace the engine for free and give you a loaner for the 3-4 weeks they have the car? Or would they just cover labor?

Old 05-30-2018, 08:12 PM

The warranty my dad and brother both have is they must be able to prove all regular service is performed by a certified shop it's covered for as long as they own At that dealership .They bought new. Dads had a transfer case and front end rebuilt for no cost Not sure about loaner cars but I know my brother paid more for his truck at that dealership then it would have where I purchased my truck.

Search this Thread