General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Actual vs Exempted Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Actual vs Exempted Mileage

No right or wrong answers here, just opinions.

I finally got my Monte titled and registered today, and in the process discovered an issue with its out-of-state title. When the Illinois dealer took possession of it, they were supposed to note the mileage on the title, and they didn't. I DID get an Odometer Disclosure statement which noted the miles when I took possession, but the Indiana BMV said that wasn't the info they needed.

I had two options at this point:
1. Try to get the dealer in Illinois (2 hours away one-way) to fix the title....with time running out on my temp plate and also my upcoming vacation
2. Let it be titled in Indiana with Exempt (or Exempted?) Mileage because it was over 10yrs old.

I chose the later. I really didn't want to but it seemed by far the easiest. I felt that I probably wasn't going to sell the car anyway, but IF I ever did, I did have that Odometer Disclosure statement to show.
Also, the digital odometer makes it pretty hard to tamper with anyway.

My husband was not happy with my decisions but agreed with my rationale. And he admitted that even if I sold it, by the time the next buyer realized the Exempted Mileage on the title, it'd already be a completed sale anyway.

So what do you all think? If you were buying this car, would not having the mileage noted on the title deter you?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:43 PM

I just like to know the true mileage of the car and be able to prove it if i needed to,but if you dont plan on selling it and beleive the person you bought it from then i wouldnt worry,have many miles does yours have tho?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you have the documentation it shouldn't be a bother to the next buyer, unless it affects insurance in anyway in your state?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:40 PM

What is the actual mileage? I know they can be picky her in Iowa too when my friend registered his harley they asked for the mileage and he said around 13,000 the lady said is that actual or are you just guessing and he said well its in that area so they marked it not actual mileage. He was pretty P.O.ed

Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BethinIN
And he admitted that even if I sold it, by the time the next buyer realized the Exempted Mileage on the title, it'd already be a completed sale anyway.
This part seems kind of shady, I wouldn't want to buy one like that or sell one like that, just because some people can be crazy and get pretty upset.

I would keep working to figure out the situation and if you do decide to sell, let the buyer know of the issue.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

BlackRainSS, here's a pic I took last week.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:25 PM

that reading looks a little to good to be true.....did they not drive it ....make sure they had another car.....i would really like to know the miles and would you trust the person your buying it from not to change the whole cluster from some one elses...just readone bad thing on this forum about this!!!!!!something about insurance gave him alot less for the car after accident i think i would have to say NO ON BUYING THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JUST MY OPINION THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 01:24 PM

My 2001 only has 45,000 on it... bought it with 39,000 9 months ago. I bought it from a nissan car dealership who said the owner had multiple vehicles and never really drove the monte.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM

i am just saying to be careful ...i didnt say it wasnt possible to nothave those miles but be carful and getthe carfax!!!!!