General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Abs light on continuously

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Cool Abs light on continuously

Good morning! Another day, another problem). My 2000 Montec Carlo (3.4) engine @ 96K miles has ABS light on continously. Initial research indicated that the problem may be the EBCM's ground wire that mounts to frame. I re-mounted the ground wire but ABS still remains on. All wheel sensors looks to be ok..........the wires looks fine, none broken. Has any of you had this type problem with your Monte? If so, please let me know how you solve this headache. The brakes are fine (pads are fairly new on front/back...........so are the rotors............brake fluid is fine as well). Thanks..............

Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 AM

You'll have to have it scanned for codes, it could be any number of things. Most of the time its a wheel speed sensor, and the code will tell you which one, but it could also be something else. You'll need a tech 2 to pull the codes.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Angry

I had it scanned twice already and was givena a DTC C1218 which is
(Pump Motor Circuit Shorted to Voltage or Motor Ground Open). What on earth does this mean? I relocated the ground wire running from the Pump Motor. It was mounted to the frame, now I grounded it to the top of fender wall near the brake booster. The ABS light is still on for whatever reason. Can a sensor be faulty although the wires don't appear damage?
Thanks

Originally Posted by labnjab
You'll have to have it scanned for codes, it could be any number of things. Most of the time its a wheel speed sensor, and the code will tell you which one, but it could also be something else. You'll need a tech 2 to pull the codes.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ABS light generally in my experience points to a bad wheel speed sensor in one of the hubs.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:50 PM

I'll research that code tonight, sounds like a bad pump motor, but I don't know for sure. I'll get back to you on it tomorrow.

And a sensor can still be bad even though the wires look ok, but with that code, I doubt its a sensor. Most likely the pump or a wireing issue. Check all your fuses in the mean time

Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Angry

Appreciate it! I hope the pump motor isn't bad for I hear those are quite expensive ($1200) or so at dealership only. Not sure if the $1200 includes labor cost.

If I had a bad wheel sensor, shouldn't I have been given another code? What is the code for a bad wheel sensor?

I just ordered an Actron ABS Brakescan tool from Amazon.Com on Monday. Hopefully, it will pay off once I receive it.

I will definitely check the fuses.

Thanks again....................

I'll research that code tonight, sounds like a bad pump motor, but I don't know for sure. I'll get back to you on it tomorrow.

And a sensor can still be bad even though the wires look ok, but with that code, I doubt its a sensor. Most likely the pump or a wireing issue. Check all your fuses in the mean time

Old 08-19-2010, 02:05 PM

A bad sensor will do one of 2 things. It will either turn the abs light on and set a code for the sensor that is bad or sometimes it will not turn the light on and will actually falsely activate the abs just before you stop. You will hear the motor kick on and the pedal will sink and it would be hard to stop for a few seconds. It does this because the bad sensor will read 0 before for the others do and the car thinks the wheel is locking up so it activates the abs.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 AM

I did some research this morning but have a few more places to look. Most of the testing involves a tech 2, but there is 1 more thing you can try. The 1st is to unplug the harness for the abs module and look for corrosion or brake fluid. If either are found then its time to replace it.

Ill look further into it this afternoon

Old 08-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Smile

I will definitely check the ABS harness once I find it. Thanks for taking time to researdh this by the way. I really apprcreciate it. I got me an ACTRON ABS scanner via mail today. So I will check to see if I get the same code. I will also check the ABS harness after I locate it. I will get back with you later tonight or tomorrow.

I did some research this morning but have a few more places to look. Most of the testing involves a tech 2, but there is 1 more thing you can try. The 1st is to unplug the harness for the abs module and look for corrosion or brake fluid. If either are found then its time to replace it.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Smile

FYI,

I used my ABS Brakefscan tool this afternoon and received a DTC code C1218 (Pump Motor Ckt Sht To Vlt or Mtr Gnd Open). I will research this on the internet. I wonder if the ground wire isn't properly grounded. I will check it again and check the wiring harness for corrosion or brake fluid. Will respond in the morning with results.

Quick Reply: Abs light on continuously